SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

songkong qnap

This is an interesting one https://blog.linuxserver.io/2017/09/17/how-to-setup-containers-on-qnap/

The guides advise to create a specific user for the container so that it doesn’t use the root access and can be flexible in terms of access rights…

I am not at home at the moment so cannot test this but will bo when I go back. Maybe you should integrate this user creation within your guide to prevent any access rights issue :wink:

Thanks for the logs, okay it is a permission issue you do not have access to see the contents of /share/Mutimedia/Audio (via /music)

That guide is useful, actually we do create a user called songkong (with group songkong) as part of the the Docker https://hub.docker.com/r/songkong/songkong/dockerfile (we dont run as root). But I am thinking the issue is that this does not relate to any real user on your system.

So if you create real songkong user on your Qnap, give them permissions to your multimedia folder and possibly configure PUID/PGID then Im confident it will work.

I’m also thinking that maybe for the user I create as part of the container the group should be everyone not songkong. Its worth noting that SongKong was working fine for me on my qnap without having to do anything else, but it has only been tested by me on this one server.

ok well at least we know where this issue is coming from which makes things move forward :slight_smile:
I’ll give that a try this evening and get back you for an update.

Cheers!

One thing you could do is go into FileStation, select the shared folder and right click and select Properties, and send screenshots of the two tabs.

Another thing I don’t understand is that I don’t have a Multimedia folder, but it seems this is some kind of standard on Qnap ?

here you go for the two screens.

The multimedia share is automatically created in qnap but as I remember you have to enable multimedia content during first instalation but don’t take my word for it and do a bit of research on that if you need.

If you scroll down on that first screenshot is there a line for everyone, if not you could try adding it with Read/Write and then refreshing in SongKong

If that doesn’t work you could try changing Guest Access Right to give full access and see if that works (I realize you may not want to do this longterm)

For some reason when I look at my folder I don’t have the option to set guest permissions, and i just see standard Owner/Group/Other permissions rather than a line per user, I dont know why my display is different to yours.

same result with the newly created user… :cry:

Did you give permissions to new user for folder at Audio and Multimedia levels

and did you do this bit

and restart Container

yes I have done all that Paul…

not sure what I could try next to be done because I have created a new share with a subfolder and even this it doesn’t see…

Hmm, can you send me some more screenshots of the new shares permissions please.

Sent to your email Paul

Ok so that seems to be screenshot from ControlPanel/Shared Folders, could be there is an issue because you have created user called Songkong instead of songkong

Can you also send me two screenshots for the two tabs in folders permissions in FileStation as well please

Assuming you have an Intel based NAS you could try songkong/songkongdockerdev image instead. This is same as standard songkong docker build except I don’t specify a user, therefore I think this means it runs as root and therefore should have full file access.

Hi Paul, sorry for the late reply, been quite busy the last 2 days…But I have a good news!!! :stuck_out_tongue: the songkong/songkongdockerdev works!!! I can see my subfolders the the songkong directory! :smiley:
what’s next then? AM I allowed some sort of super tester licence? :lol:

Heh, so you can use that instead it is running exactly the same version of SongKong. But I would like to know why we cant get permissions to work when running as songkong instead, it would be helpful to see that other permissions screenshot page I asked about and whether the issue is simply that you created as user Songkong instead of songkong.

Then I have to make decision about whether I should make the standard docker app run as root instead. By creating a user I was trying to follow best practise but since it has caused a problem for number of qnap users I am wondering if better to just run as root.

just sent you the screens as requested.

I’ve also recreated a new “songkong” but still same results…

Happy to run more tests if needed though, just let me know.

Since only the administrator can install/run SongKong it seems reasonable to allow that to run as root rather than trying to solve the problem of getting correct uids/gids and adding to these songkong.

The effect is essentially the same, since with a songkong user the customer would be attempting to give songkong access to write to music files without giving it to non admin users of the qnap. So whether using songkong or root the aim is when running songkong have access to all files. Access to what music files songkong has access to is already controlled by the mapping of the /music folder. Hence using a songkong user would only have the effect of controlling access to a subset of files within /music folder and I cannot see a usecase for this at all.

Of course, this does mean when songkong is running anyone could use webbrowser to change any files under /music, but this is the case anway if songkong user was given permissions to /music folder anyway, so there is no change. But I will additionally introduce simple password access to songkong front end itself - https://jthink.atlassian.net/projects/SONGKONG/issues/SONGKONG-1648

I have now rebuilt songkong/songkong and songkong/songkong-arm32 so that they run as root and this should resolve permissions issue. I have now hidden songkong/songkongdockerdev since it is now no different to standard images.

Hi Paul, I have been away travelling since our last talk but as I read it in your above reply you have sorted it all within the dev version of songkong so well done!
Let me know if I can help further

thx

Thanks, to be clear it is now part of the standard version. Also we have just updated docker images to use SongKong 5.14, that has just been released.

ok. I might need to open a new ticket but I’ve tested songkong and got loads of songs unmatched which seems unreal because they’re all soul classics …Any idea why this happens at all?