SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Contemplating re-tagging my music database (165k Files) with Songkong

It doesnt look like it has been matched, would see to see the reports.

So lets not jump to conclusions, but actually anybody can edit the data relatively easily, and it is subject to guidlines and voting to ensure editing improves things rather than breaks things.

I have rerun the match to one album on the Nareh Arghamanyan and checked with ‘view album’ that it actually matched to the MusicBrainz release. The report has been uploaded.

Support files for Hrusa also sent after match to album. Checked ‘view album’ that the match was indeed to MusicBrainz release.

Hi, okay there is a small bug, MatchOneAlbum reports are not getting sent with the support files, fixed for next release but could you do the following for me please

• Go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\SongKong\Reports (where username is your windows username, and note AppData is hidden folder on windows by default)
  • Zip up the folders beginning MatchAlbumReport
  • Send zip file to support@jthink.net

thanks, sorry for the inconvenience.

MatchAlbumReport Folders sent via Email

Thankyou, okay now I see the problem please see this post about the roon profile specifically this section

Classical Track Artist

PopRock music usually has a well defined track artist but Classical music doesn’t have an easily defined track artist, it can be defined by the conductor/performers/choirs/orchestras on the track but is difficult. Since this we have separate fields for conductor/performers/choirs/composers anyway it is usually better to leave the track artists blank and let roon work out the best track artist from the other fields

We do this by adding (Track) Artist to the Never Modify or add these fields option on the Classical tab, we also add the plural and sort variants. This prevents these fields being used when we match to a Classical album, non classical albums are unaffected.

So if using purely in via Roon there is some benefit to not having the track artist set, however if you already have values then better to update the value or beforehand use Metagrater to deletes these values. I think in your case best to just set Classical/Never Modify or Add these Fields to nothing. And this should fix the Artist/Sort Artist/Artists/Sort Artists issues for both albums.

When we originally created the roon profile there was an option to empty existing fields included in Fix Songs and that was the option we used so these fields would always be empty. But that option was taken out of Fix Songs and put into separate MetaGrater task which generally gives more flexibility but doesnt work quite so well for this scenario. I may modify the Roon profile to no longer leaves these fields unchanged for Classical, will have to think about it a bit more.

Which of the three profiles should I use:

• roon
  • minimserver (I use minimserver on my NAS)

and which parameters would I need to set in the recommended profile? I will then run the match album again, so we can check the result.

Just select the Roon profile (as you have been doing) but modify the Never modify or add these fields option on the Classical tab, once changed subsequent uses of roon profile for that task will keep the change, you dont have to do it each time.But you would need to do once for Fix Songs and once for Match to One Album because each task has its own profile they are not shared (although they may have same name)

I have set the ‘never modify or add these fields’ parameter to empty and redone the album match task for Nareh Arghamanyan. The extended tags in mp3Tag look much better now. I uploaded the report.

Same for the Hrusa. Uploaded the report

Thanks but I cant see album match reports because of the bug I mentioned earlier, can you email them again.

Had a look so they now fine, do yo have any more questions about them ?

Thanks a lot, Paul. The indeed look fine now.
Unfortunately I am not quite at the end of my journey yet and so some questions remain:

• Is there a way to increase the number of matches in the ‘normal’ fix songs process (without doing a forced album match)?
  • Is there a possibility to create a ‘safe place’ for user comments in the album title. I add a comment that identifies the audio format such as (DSF), (DSF256), (44.1_16) etc. I am aware that SongKong has the possibility to add comments like (HD), but my system is more granular. I would like to keep these comments across the SongKong fix files process. I have stored my files in separate folders for the different audio file types, so if I process one folder at a time I could potentially add them back after the SongKong Process.
  • Maybe a thought for the future. There are a lot of i.e. Tower SACDs, HDTT and Pristine Classical editions that are neither in discogs nor in MusicBrainz. They usually contain works that are in the MusicBrainz database. Having a wizard to populate the tags of the works would make tagging life much easier. In the Roon forum I have labelled this request the ‘works chooser’ wizard.

I am very happy with the support you have given me. I will now do one of the smaller folders and see how that goes. I may be back with questions along the way.

Run it twice should give a few more matches.

For album not matched you could try emptying the artist field that would get probably round the addtional check that is failing. But you only want to do this for albums that have failed to match because removing that information many prevent finding a potential match in first place. Try a test on a single album that is in MusicBrainz to see if works.

One way to do this without having to modify individual albums would be to move songs to a new location as follows, but this would mean throwing away your existing Roon database and starting afresh, I dont know if that is vialbe for you.

• Run Fix Songs
  • Run Fix Songs ( to get some more matches based on info added first time round)
  • Run Rename Files to move matched album s to a new location
  • Run Metagrater on unmatched songs to remove value of artist and sort artist fields
  • Run Fix Songs again
  • Run Rename Files to move newly matched albums to a new location
  • Add to Roon

You could add Album to the Only Modify these fields if empty option to the Format tab but then incorrect album titles would not get corrected,

Otherwise you could do the approach you suggest and make use of the AutoEdit Find and Replace task as follows

So this is a Roon question rather than a SongKong question or have i misunderstood you?

Not really a Roon question, but a function request that could be fulfilled through Roon or through SongKong. I am not holding my breath that Roon will do anything about it. So I am asking you whether such a ‘works chooser’ wizard could be a future functionality of SongKong to manually populate Works information in unidentified Albums.

So you mean manually be able to select some tracks and say these are part of same work and then have SongKong add the relevant work and movement fields?

Yes exactly:

• select four tracks which form the movements of Mahler’s first symphony
  • open the wizard and select Mahler’s first symphony from a list
  • have Songkong populate the track titles with the correct movement names, Work and Part tags to the files

I am aware that this only works if the work is split the same way as it is in the MusicBrainz database.

Same for manual population of artist, conductor, orchestra, composer tags by selecting from a list. Songkong would then populate the tags and the sort tags. This would eliminate spelling errors and accelerate the tagging process significantly. Maybe that is already possible? I haven’t looked at SongKong’s manual tag entry yet.

jRiver has s similar functionality. When the name of an artist is entered it offers predictions with names that have already been used in the tags of the library. This is good, but only ensures consistency within my own library, not consistency vis a vis a standard such as MusicBrainz.

These are things I have wished for in the past when manually tagging my large classical library.

Ok, so actually you are actually asking SongKong to match some tracks to a work on MusicBrainz (when it hasn’t been done as part of an auto tag to an album) I thought you wanted to derive it from existing song title. Now the good news is it almost does this already.

SongKong groups songs into logical groups, primarily by folder but also by metadata to try and decide what is an album and then matches all the songs to a MusicBrainz/Discogs album. Now sometimes it can accurately identify (some of the) songs (usually via acoustids linked to MusicBrainz recordings) but cannot find an album that matches for all songs. In such cases it matches MusicBrainz Song Only, this means it links to the MusicBrainz Recording Id and modifies fields such as Artist and Title but not fields that would differ based on the album such as Album Artist, Album and Track No. Because we are making the assumption that the correct album is not in MusicBrainz or Discogs so what we dont want to do is match to other incorrect album(s).

But I took a look at a MusicBrainz Song Only match and it also adds any MB Recording Work linked to a recording (this MB work is usally actually the Movement) and then the MB Work if the MB Recording Work is part of a larger Work.

Here is an example from your FixSongsReport00018:

What it doesnt do is fill in the generic Work/Movement fields because we do this later when deciding if the whole release is a Classical release because we can do a better job when we consider the whole album rather than songs one at a time.

So what you could do is use a tagger such as Jaikoz to bulk copy MB Work to Work and MB Recording Work to Part when the Work and Part fields do not already have values, and this should get you further there quite painlessly. See here for an example of this type of edit.

I think having the Manual Editor search for MB Works might be useful but in alot of cases if the MB work can be found it is probably already added to the song via autotagging. The idea for looking up artists fields from a list generated by MusicBrainz could be nice but SongKong speciality is really Autotagging from online sources and automating editing tasks over whole collection (e.g Rename Files/Auto Edit/Delete Duplicates). I don’t really believe it should be necessary to do that much manual editing and for that reason and with limited resources manual editing is not the focus of attention, Jaikoz is better for adhoc manual editing.

I hadn’t thought of using Jaikoz in my workflow, but of course you are right. The tagging for works, parts and people I mentioned in my last post usually applies to one album only, so Jaikoz is the right tool to use.
If we assume that a recording has not been autotagged by SongKong, could I get the works and parts tags from the MusicBrainz database through Jaikoz manually?
Same for artists, orchestras, composers and their sort equivalents?
I think we’re getting there :grinning:

To my surprise, the Alban Berg example you quoted was correctly identified by SongKong, so no more work needed there, even though it is an esoteric SACD.
I then chose a Tower SACD by Karel Ancerl which does not exist on MusicBrainz, of which SongKong identified three tracks. I then opened it in Jaikoz and sent you both the SongKong and Jaikoz support files.
It’s from this point I would like to be able to add tags based on the MusicBrainz database.