This is a very basic guide for using SongKong with Melco on a Melco server. It applies to both older N1 models and new EX models. The only difference is that with N1 models SongKong only runs in preview mode unless you purchased full Melco license, with EX , N10 and N100 models you are provided with a Melco Lite license that gives limited functionality. In both cases you can upgrade to a full Melco license to get full functionality.
SongKong for Melco is an intelligent music tagger designed to make the task of managing, organizing and cleaning up your digital music library easy. As your digital music collection grows, so can missing artist and performer information and album art. Different sources of metadata give rise to inconsistent metadata, and key information may also be missing or incorrect including album art.
The main function of SongKong is automated fixing of your metadata. SongKong searches multiple databases to build much deeper metadata populating all possible tags, and advanced algorithms ensure consistency across the complete library. This is all achieved with just a few clicks using the default settings, but there is a range of tools to allow you to personalize your experience.
But SongKong also allows manual editing, this is very useful for the Melco because it allows direct editing of files on your Melco.
SongKong can also find and delete duplicate music files.
By improving your metadata with SongKong you then provide better information for Twonky or MinimServer uPnP servers that comes with Melco, these then serve the music to your uPnP Control Point (normally runs on phone or iPad). We recommend you use MinimServer because it is more flexible and can make better use of the metadata added by SongKong.
SongKong is controlled on a network connected Tablet or PC / Mac via a web browser at http:aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:4567 (where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address of the Melco). The location of the web server is confirmed by navigating to
Settings – Music Database – SongKong – Configure SongKong
This is the main user interface
The features, left to right
Creates a web page and spreadsheet of the existing metadata before any processing is initiated
Automated matching of the highlighted music folder in accordance with the Current Profile. This is not limited to one album, SongKong can attempt to fix your whole music collection with one click.
Monitor watch Folder
Monitors a folders and does automated matching of new folders as they are added
Delete Duplicate Songs
Remove duplicates of the same song from the library, there is the option to delete the duplicate or simply move it to a duplicates Folder and hide it from the UPnP Server.
Restores the metadata to the situation before SongKong was used.
Edit Songs Manually
Allowing for manual edit of a single album, search new artwork and replace, manually edit album and track information, and save to the embedded metadata.
Recommended Work Flow
SongKong comes with some predefined profiles, these are sets of preferences tuned for different scenarios. Once a task is started SongKong can run unattended on large music collections with no user
interaction, but it can take some time so if running for the first time on your whole collection we recommend you run SongKong overnight when you are not using your Melco.
Unlike many conventional taggers you do not need to fix one album at a time, SongKong can be applied to your whole collection in one go.
Recommended Work Flow:
- Run Status Report on your music collection, this gives you a nice web report and spreadsheet report of your music library and its metadata before any changes are made.
- Consider do you want Fix Songs to completely fix your music library (Fix metadata profile), only add missing data without modifying any existing data (Add new metadata only profile), or only improve artwork (Add artwork only profile) and select the current profile before selecting Fix Songs.
- You can run with Preview only option enabled or just go for it, since all changes are also stored in SongKongs database so you can run Undo Changes if there is anything you don’t like.
- If you have purchased a Melco license rather than a Melco Lite license then there are many options you can modify, but the defaults work well for most people.
- Select Start and SongKong will start analysing and fixing your songs and will create a detailed html report showing the results.
- Now your songs have better metadata you could also run Delete Duplicates if you have full Melco license.
- SongKong automated fixing should match most but not all of your files, so you can Edit Songs Manually to add metadata for albums that were not identified.
- Once completed you need to update the index of your Music Server to pick up the changes made by SongKong, this may take some time.
- Then reconnect to your music server from your control point to enjoy a better browsing experience.
SongKong with MinimServer
SongKong for Melco profiles have been tuned to work seamlessly with the Classical/RockPop and Jazz profiles provided with MinimServer for Melco. MinimServer configuration can be quite complex and difficult to understand, but this is not usually necessary when the data has been provided by SongKong.
Upgrading from Melco(Lite) to Melco
Upgrade provides following features:
- Complete control over configuration
- Rename Files and Folders from Metadata
- Add Artist artwork
- Parse Naim Rips Metadata files
- Custom Profiles
- Add Acoustic Metadata
- Delete Duplicate Files
- Additional install on PC/Mac allowed