SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

"SongKong is damaged and can't be opened"

I’m a happy, long-term user of SongKong but I have a problem with the latest version. I’m running it on a Mac Studio with macOS 15.0.1. When I drag the SongKong app from the mounted disk image to my Applications folder and double-click to launch it, I get a message: “SongKong is damaged and can’t be opened. You should move it to the Bin.” If I double-click the app on the disk image, it opens without a problem.

I’ve tried re-downloading several times and with two different browsers. Always the same result. I’ve also tried deleting SongKong from my Applications folder along with all its associated files (using Remove-It). Still no joy.

Has anyone else had this problem and how can I resolve it?

Do you have the right version, there are M1 and Intel versions ?

Yes, I have the right version, ie the M1 version.

So I removed SongKong from my M1 Mac, redownloaded, installed into Applications and it all works fine, so I wonder if there is some issue with how you are installing into Applications, do you do anything other than open the dmg and drag the SongKong icon to the Applications icon?

Could there be an issue with some kind of anti-virus software, some (BitDefender, Malware Bytes) have been giving false positives recently.

I am running an older version of MacOS (14.4.1) so Im updating to macOS Sequoia now and will retry once installed.

Thanks for persisting, Paul. Following on from your suggestions, I’ve just checked BitDefender and it’s located and blocked a threat called Trojan.GenericKD.7417738. I’ve tracked it down to a file called songkong-10.10.jar located in on a disk of archived stuff. I’ve deleted it and also, from my Apps folder, SongKong itself. I’ve then redownloaded SongKong and dragged it to the Apps folder. After several tries, SongKong now seems to be working fine again. Very strange.

Right, we posted this false postive to BitDefender a while ago, and we had an issue with an earlier version of SongKong as well, but have no idea what is that is triggering this (there is no trojan in the jar file).

SongKong 11 coming out soon, so will see what happens then.

And upgraded to 15.0.1 and confirmed SongKong installs and runs okay.