SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Questions on Deleting Duplicates on Melco

You mean by specifying the following location when running the Fix Song task?

“/mnt/disk1/share/import_CD/Eric Clapton” “/mnt/disk1/share/Music/Eric Clapton”

That was just an example, I dont know what the paths are (although I can see that /mnt/disk1/share/import_CD/Eric Clapton is one from last report).

Anyway, you could do this but I only need the other folder because you have already done the first one

I have done both tasks, so you should see them now.

Okay matched same MB Release for both

So Delete Duplicates should work, you just need to select both folders when you run it.

How can I influence which version of the 2 albums will be deleted? I obviously would want the version in the Import CD folder to be deleted and keep the ones in the main music library folder.

First of all I would just run in preview mode to see if it now finds duplicates

Then to answer your question that is the purpose of the second options tab

The preferred deletion criteria compares each duplicate going down the list and for the first one where there is a difference the file which best matches the criteria is kept and the other discarded.

Now, if all the songs are sonically identially with the defaults l expect Earliest Folder Modified Date would prefer the one in the main music library folder, but I’m not sure maybe its the other way round and you need to move Latest Folder Modified Date up the list , we can see if it is right for you by running in preview mode first.

We do have an Earliest Folder Creation Date criteria but unfortunately that is only available for Windows because unix based machines such as the Melco do not store creation and last modified date separately, they share the same field

Paul, Thank you very much for all your help today! Very impressed with the level of support you provide: speed, diligence and patience - what more can a user ask for! You have enabled me to make a giant leap forward from where I were yesterday. Cheers!

1 Like

I ran the Delete Duplicates task yesterday afternoon on the xect same folders. This time I did not chose Preview Only. For some reason it did still not find any duplicates. I did just run a status report and created support files.

Hi, I think there is a regression introduced in SongKong 10.3 Blur affecting the Song is a Duplicate if it has same option, I will come back to you later today.

Hi, I ran this task the day after I had upgraded to SongKong 10.4 already.

Yeah but Ive only just discovered the regression as a result of your message, it wasnt fixed in 10.4.

Will you be able to gix this with version 10.5?

Sorry - I meant to say fix

I’m going to issue a 10.4.1 fix as soon as I can, maybe today

Update, the bug I found whilst investigating your issue only applies to desktop ui not the web ui you use on Melco so is not relevant to your case.

I relooked at your reports and realized I missed something quite obvious

The version of the Slowhand album in /mnt/disk1/share/import_CD folder has not actually been matched to MusicBrainz because Fix Songs only run in preview mode. If you rerun Fix Songs with preview unchecked and then rerun Delete Duplicates on both folders in one go it should now work.

I have just rerun Fix Songs and Delete Songs and indeed, one of the two Eric Clapton albums got deleted. The other one, 461 Ocean Boulevard, is still there twice with slightly diverent covers but the exact same 13 songs in each album. You should be able to see that in the support files.

Can you try rerunning Fix Songs but with Erzwinge akustische Fingerabdrücke, auch wenn sie bereits übereinstimmen on the Identifizeiren tab enabled

then rerun Delete Duplicates.

Hi, this die eventually do the trick. I have tried the same thing on two other folders for Metallica and elten John. In all cases the duplicates were removed. Fortunately, only the ltest ones added (the ones in the Import CD library) were deleted with the current settings. So problem solved, although this was not easy and certainly not intuitive at all.

Really, you should have run Delete Duplicates in preview mode first as suggested to ensure right ones were deleted rather than leaving to chance.

Okay lets summarize the problems and solution

So I did say right at the start of this:

You don’t say what options you have used but most of the Delete Duplicates options work better if the songs have been identified by SongKong first using the Fix Songs task, and and finding album covers is also part of the Fix Songs task. So I would run Fix Songs over your whole collection, taking care of the options to decide if you want to correct existing metadata or only add metadata when missing, there are some predefined profiles that help with this.

So running Fix Songs not in preview would have then allowed you to find most duplicates, as long as if when you ran delete duplicates you made sure both folders containing duplicates were selected. I think it is pretty obvious that you if you only select one folder that doesn’t contain any duplicates it is not going to find any duplicates. But seeing that understandably you didn’t want to select parent folder then selecting multiple folders with webui is awkward and we do have an issue logged for this

Now it still didn’t find all duplicates until you changed the option, this is a bit complicated but I explain as follows. You selected a Duplicate If option that includes Sounds the Same, that means the AcoustIds are the same, but because Fix Songs hadn’t created AcoustIds for all songs (because not always needed for song identifaction) that prevented some matches. Now creation of AcoustIds as part of Fix Songs is a two stage process:

1. Locally process file to get Acoustid Fingerprint
  2. Lookup fingerprint on Acoustid website and get an AcoustId Id, if same fingerprint or very very similar fingerprint been submitted before yo get existing Acoustid Id, otherwise get allocated new AcoustId Id

But when using Delete Duplicates if do not have AcoustId ids it does stage 1 to get fingerprint but doesn’t do stage 2 in order not to slow things down somewhat, doing stage 1 is a workaround but better to change option on Fix Songs. Because slightly different fingerprints can have same acoustids this means that Fix Songs method may find more duplicates that Delete Duplicates only method.

I accept that this is a bit confusing the difficulty is if always create fingerprints is enabled by default in Fix Songs then for slow machines such as Melco this can slow it down quite alot because very cpu intensive and Melco only has one low powered cpu. Also if we enable both stages in Delete Duplicates this means we have to a lookup to Acoustid for every single song, so again this is going to slow Delete Duplicates down alot so I don’t have a clear solution to this problem.

Appreciate the detailed explanantion but you really got my head spinning…

What Fix Songs option and What Duplicate If option should I chose to set me up for more success when trying to find and delete duplicates on my Melco in the future?