SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Jaikoz and OSX Mavericks

OSX 10.9 Mavericks has just been released, Mavericks doesn’t seem to come with Java 6 installed only Java 7 but because of significant changes between Java 6 (developed by Apple) and Java 7 (developed by Oracle) on OSX the current version of Jaikoz only works with Java 6.

Mavericks is meant to inform you to install Java 6 if you try and run a Java 6 application and it doesnt start but on my machine it just silently failed so if Jaikoz is not starting this is probably the problem, or the problem maybe you are using Jaikoz 5.7.0 with iTunes integration.

I am currently working on a Java 7 version of Jaikoz and solving the iTunes problem, should be a new release available by the end of next week.

There is a preview of Jaikoz 6.0.0 which is Mavericks compatible now available from http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=125

Note the code -signing has been done incorrectly so if your Macs setting only allow to open applications from known developers you’ll need to hold down the control key when you click on Jaikoz and select Open to start it first time. The code-signing will be fixed in due course but I didn’t want to delay making this available, please give feedback.

There are some outstanding issues for the Java 6 Java 7 conversion but because Mavericks was released earlier then expected I haven’t had time to address these http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-732 but already I think it is better than the java 6 version, and hopefully the iTunes issue should now be fixed.

Paul,

Thanks for this. Unfortunately, when I install this release I receive the following error dialog box when I start the application:

“Jaikoz has found a problem with configuration file:/Users/xxx/Library/Preferences/Jaikoz/settings.jai:schema_reference.4:Failed to read schema document ‘file:/Users/xxx/settings.xsd’, because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not xsd:schema.”

I’ve looked in /Users/xxx for the file ‘settings.xsd’ and it’s not there (not to mention the fact I wouldn’t expect the aplication to put a setings file in the root of my home directory in the first place).

Any ideas?

Right, someone else has just reported that issue, I had the same issue myself when I started development on Mavericks but I resolved it im confused as to why that is happening. You could just try copying /Applications/Jaikoz.app/Contents/Java/settings.xsd into your home folder and see if that works for you.

Ah, there is a bug and I didn’t see it because I did have this file lying around in my home folder because of something else, the workaround does seem to work and I will try to prepare a new release later today.

Okay, this particular problem is now fixed, you can download using this link

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

(the code-signing problem remains)

Not working for me. See attachments.

Just installed from this link, but I encountered the settings.xsd bug anyway. I applied the workaround. Some or all of my preferences reverted to the distribution settings. I noticed one glitch: in the previous version I was able to select a group of rows using the sequence number in the left column, then Control-Click (right-click) to use a pop-up menu item to apply to all of those rows. In this release, when I Control-Click the selection reverts to only the row beneath the cursor.

Other than this, iTunes integration is working well, without any apparent time delays.

dbaps please try this link instead in case it is a caching issue

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600fix1/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

it certainly seems to work for me

Neon Scribe, so you left-click and hold down cntl-button, the menu comes up but the selection is set to just the one record, right I can see that though it is not something i ever do.

I would just right-click which does work, but I guess this goes back to the days when Mac mouses only had one button - or is that still the case, Ive had an ergonomic mouse for so long I cant remember.

Sorry, that was ambiguous. Control-Click on the Mac is equivalent to right-click when you only have one button. I work mostly on a MacBook Pro with a touchpad, which only has one button, which is the entire touchpad itself.

I just plugged in a two-button mouse and discovered that right-clicking preserves the selection but control-clicking changes the selection to just the one record under the cursor. Since, to my knowledge, Macs still come with a single-button mouse or trackpad, this is a bug that might affect many Mac users (assuming they use the pop-up menus). The pop-up menu is a little handier than the toolbar or the menubar sometimes, because you don’t need to move the mouse cursor to use it.

The code signing problem should now be fixed, see

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600Fix2/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

NeonScribe, thanks I understood but maybe not the significance. Okay I’ll see if I can fix this before release, though its possible the bug is with Java itself which may make things more tricky.

Hi, I just wanted to say I love this new version with Java 7.
It feels snappier, and I love the fact I can run it without a separate JRE install.

I was hoping you could keep the new version of Jaikoz bundled with JRE 7.
On a fresh install of Mavericks, the last thing I want to do is install Java on my system. Especially for only two apps I need it for.
I was talking to another dev about this issue and they agreed it would be possible, and that is the route they will most likely take.
This is great for Mac users who want to avoid Java on their system.
I have encountered numerous problems in the past with Java , and will not be installing it again.

I hope you guys can do the same and just bundle Java 7 along with Jaikoz and save users the headaches on OS X.

I also want to thank you for fixing the outdated OS X graphics in this version.
I emailed you about that a while back. Everything in this version looks and works very nicely.

Thanks very much!

Thanks, and yes it comes bundled with Java 7 so you dont have to install Java separately

i tried it but it can’t even start the app.

More UI weirdness here: I clicked on a title then used the keyboard cursor down arrow key to move to the title of the next row. The title disappeared from the first row. When I hit the cursor down arrow again, the title disappeared from the second row. This is new (and clearly incorrect) behavior in the new release on Mavericks.

mano_lito please check you have the latest version of this release using this link

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600Fix2/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

Ive fixed pop menu problem locally, Ive replicated the very weird cursor problem (but not yet fixed).

The cursor problem is serious because it does actually the empty the field for some reason, so if the files were saved that information would be lost. It only effects simple text fields, fields with counts (such as the Artist field) are not effected.