SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

How get genres from Discogs?

Concerning genres, I would like to only use genre values derived from Discogs, in this way: If there is, during an Auto Correct action, a match with Discogs, an existing (or empty) genre value in the Genre field of Jaikoz, should be replaced by the Discogs value for genre – and an existing (or empty) grouping value in the Grouping field of Jaikoz, should be replaced by the Discogs value(s) for style. [In Discogs terms, style is the same as sub-genre. See here and here.]

If there is no match with Discogs, I would like to have, after an Auto Correct action, an empty Genre field and an empty Grouping field in Jaikoz – even when there was an initial value in those fields.

Is there a way to get this done in Jaikoz? If so, what preferences do I have to choose to get this done?

I am not able to get this done with my current Jaikoz preferences: the Genre and Grouping fields are not being updated with my current preferences (both when those fields are initially empty, or initially filled with incorrect values).

These are my current Jaikoz preferences that may be relevant:
Preferences/MusicBrainz/Automatch:
Do not match online if already have a MusicBrainz Recording Id: not checked.
Do not update from Discogs when matching: not checked.
Preferences/MusicBrainz/Format:
Never modify these fields: no fields specified.
Only modify these fields if empty: no fields specified.
Genre: Never alter.
Grouping: Never alter.
Preferences/Remote Correct/Match:
Prefer do not match to Various Artist compilations: checked.
Prefer do not match to Single Artist compilations: checked.
Prefer to match Albums instead of Singles and EPs: not checked.
Preferences/Remote Correct/Discogs:
Only match if matches to MusicBrainz release: not checked.
Always modify these fields: Album, Artist, Comment, Composer, Mood, Original Album, Original Artist, Original Release Year, Title, Track No, Track Total.
Never modify these fields: no fields specified.
Only modify these fields if empty: no fields specified.
Genre: Always replace values – From = Discogs Genre – Max no of Genres = 1.
Grouping: Always replace values – From = Discogs Style – Max no of Genres = 9.
Preferences/Manipulators/Autocorrector:
Autocorrector Tasks (in this order): Local Correct Artist, Local Correct Album, Local Correct Title, Local Correct Track, Local Correct Year, Correct Metadata From Filename, Local Correct Artist, Local Correct Title, Correct Metadata from MusicBrainz, Correct Metadata from Discogs, Local Correct Year.

Jut try running Update Metadata from Discogs - does that update the Genre/Grouping, and if not do you have a value for Release Discogs Url for those songs - if the songs have not been matched to Discogs then of course cannot update genre/grouping from Discogs.

With my current preferences, I ran Auto Correct earlier with different sets of songs–and with none of them, the Genre and Grouping field got updated. Today I did the following with another set of songs:

1. I ran an Auto Correct Action on 18 songs. After this, 10 of them got a Discogs ID. For none of them, the Genre and Grouping field got updated during this Auto Correct action.
  2. After that, I ran “Action/Remote Correct/Update Metadata from Discogs”. It then says “Update 10 metadata from existing Discogs Id successfully. Update Metadata from existing Discogs Ids was unable to find a match for 8 songs. Completed updating metadata from Discogs for 18 files.” After this, still none of the songs got an update of the Genre and Grouping field.

By the way, is there a difference with respect to updating metadata from Discogs between running (A) “Action/Remote Correct/Update Metadata from Discogs” and running (B) Auto Corrector with “Correct Metadata from Discogs” at the end of the Autocorrector Tasks and the preference “Do not update from Discogs when matching” NOT checked?

If its working for some albums with Discogs Ids but not others it may just be that the Discogs values are not in the Correct Genres list, we only accept values that are in this list.

Correct Metadata from Discogs trys to match songs to a Discogs release.

Update Metadata from Discogs updates songs already matched to Discogs with any new data added since previously matched.

The Do not update from Discogs when matching option applies to matching form MusicBrainz, when you match a MusicBrainz release it often has a link to an equivalent Discogs release. So we use that to match to Discogs we dont have to a search the answer is already provided, but if you enable the option then we would the Disocgs data. The only reason to enable this option is if you want your matched to MusicBrainz but not Discogs, that does not apply to you.

I am confused. I understand the “Remote Correct/Correct Genres” list to be a blacklist, so Discogs values for genre will only be accepted by Jaikoz when not in that list.

These 15 genres, are all possible Discogs genres: “Blues”; “Brass & Military”; “Children’s”; “Classical”; “Electronic”; “Folk, World, & Country”; “Funk / Soul”; “Hip-Hop”; “Jazz”; “Latin”; “Non-Music”; “Pop”; “Reggae”; “Rock”; “Stage & Screen”. (Source: here.)

None of these Discogs genres are in my “Remote Correct/Correct Genres” list. (I suppose that the following items in that list do not match with any of the Discogs genres: “hip hop rnb and dance hall”; “jazz and blues”; “pop and chart”; “rock and indie”.)

As far as I understand, I did not, until now, succeed to receive any Discogs genre values. I tried again to receive Discogs genre values, in this way:

• I ripped the complete CD album “Fire and Water” by “Free”.
  • I loaded the FLAC files which resulted from this in Jaikoz.
  • The Genre field of all loaded songs, had been populated by the ripper with “Rock”. This is the correct genre.
  • Because I wanted to test the downloading of genre values from Discogs, I emptied the Genre column in Jaikoz (“Right click/Empty Column”). Right after that, I saved the changes (“File/Save Changes”).
  • At this moment, none of the songs had a MusicBrainz Id, none had a Acoustid, and none had a Discogs Id.
  • I ran an Auto Correct action with Jaikoz.
  • After that, all songs have a MusicBrainz Id, none have a Acoustid, and all have a Discogs Id. The Genre and Grouping columns stayed empty during this Auto Correct action. So the Genre field has not been updated for any of the songs. (During the Auto Correct action, for the first song, 62 fields have been updated by Jaikoz. For the other songs, this number seems to be about the same.)

So my question remains: How can I get genres from Discogs?

Added later:
These are the last lines from the Console tab:

Aug 5, 2020 6:30:47 PM: INFO: Task 9:Started correct metadata from MusicBrainz on 7 songs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 9:Successfully matched 7 songs to the MusicBrainz Release 04eae07a-154d-358d-890e-2bf256c1343a with title Fire and Water (Album / AlbunackDiscId)
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 9:Matched 7 songs to MusicBrainz Release successfully
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 9:Completed correcting metadata from MusicBrainz on 7 songs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 10:Started to match 7 songs to Discogs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 10:Ignored 7 songs because they already have a Discogs Release Id
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 10:Successfully matched 0 songs to Discogs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 10:Completed matching of 7 songs to Discogs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 11:Started correct recording times on 7 song
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Task 11:Completed correct recording times on 7 songs
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: 7 songs were modified with the autocorrector
Aug 5, 2020 6:30:49 PM: INFO: Completed autocorrecter on 7 songs

Perhaps “Ignored 7 songs because they already have a Discogs Release Id” is an explanation why there are no updates from Discogs. If so, what preference should I change to prevent this ignoring from happening?

Sorry you are correct, I was confusing with SongKong.

No, ignored because already have Discogs Id from MusicBrainz match so no need to Correct metadata from Discogs because already matched to Discogs.

You could try Update Metadata from Discogs instead but I am confused because earlier yo gave an example whereby genres were being added, now yo are saying none is added.

I never succeeded to get genre values from Discogs. I did get genre data in the past, but as I understand it, these were derived from MusicBrainz.

I ran “Update Metadata from Discogs”, which resulted in these Console lines:

Aug 5, 2020 7:28:05 PM: INFO: Started updating metadata for 7 songs
Aug 5, 2020 7:28:34 PM: INFO: Updated 7 metadata from existing Discogs Id successfully
Aug 5, 2020 7:28:34 PM: INFO: Completed updating metadata from Discogs for 7 files

After this, the Genre column is still empty–so no genre updates.

I do not understand what you are saying here. My Genre column is empty, and I do want to get it populated with data from Discogs. So I do not want those songs to be ignored: The genre of those songs does need to be corrected.

Now I look back to what happened in my previous post.

After matching with MusicBrainz, Jaikoz corrects metadata from MusicBrainz (see above for lines from the Console tab):
— Matched 7 songs to MusicBrainz Release successfully
— Completed correcting metadata from MusicBrainz on 7 songs

In the preferences, I “asked” Jaikoz not to update the Genre and Grouping fields from MusicBrainz, so now these fields are “waiting” to be updated from Discogs.

After matching with Discogs, Jaikoz seems not to correct any metadata from Discogs (see above for lines from the Console tab):
— Completed matching of 7 songs to Discogs

After this line, I would expect this line: “Completed correcting metadata from Discogs on 7 songs”. So there is a succesful match with Discogs–but that doesn’t result in correcting metadata from Discogs. [Even if that correcting of metadata would happen, the genre may not get updated, because when I ran “Update Metadata from Discogs” a few minutes ago (see above in this post), this did not result in an update of the Genre and Grouping field.]

Okay you are misunderstanding, Correct Metadata from Discogs will ignore songs already matched and not try to re-identify them. Whereas Update Metadata from Discogs will try and update songs with the latest data for the Discogs release they have been matched to.

So that is how they work, hope that now makes sense.

Now your main question is Why is Genre and Grouping not being added from Discogs even though the songs have been matched to Discogs ?

And currently I don’t know, I have checked the Fire and Water album on Jaikoz version of Discogs (albunack) referred to in your logs, and it has genre set to Rock and style set to Classic Rock, and I have tried getting Discogs genres for my own music using Jaikoz without any problems.

Can you run Advanced:Create Support Files and then email support@jthink.net the zip file created, then I can try running Jaikoz with your settings to see if I can replicate the issue.

Thank you for explaining the difference between Correct Metadata and Update Metadata. This difference does make sense to me now. I will send the JaikozSupport.zip file.

Hi i have discovered from your logs that a problem is occurring when you try to update from Discogs that us preventing the metadata update so that it never gets as far as updating the genres. Working on a fix and will release a new version of Jaikoz with fix next week.

Thank you very much for looking into this. I am looking forward to the update.

Now bug is fixed (JAIKOZ-1274), expect a new release including this fix next week.

Now fixed as part of 10.1.2 Moose - Jaikoz 10.1.2 Moose Released August 15th 2020

There was a bug in initial version of 10.1.2 Moose, there is a new version of 10.1.2 Moose that fixes the issue, please redownload and install.

I downloaded and installed the new version of Jaikoz today. Now updates from Discogs work as expected. Thank you for fixing this.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with getting Genres