SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Changing Characters to standard ASCII characters

Hi.

I know this can be done but I am confused on how to do it.

I want to change charactes like “�” to “e” in the Title and Artist. I want to do this because when I search for “Jose” while looking for a song in XP it wont find “Jos� Luis Rodr�guez” for example.

Thanks

Just use ‘Find and Replace’, from the dialog you can select the fields you want to modify

I am assuming you mean Edit -> Find and Replace then enter what I want to change.

I like to make this automatic for future corrections and since I have lots of characters to convert. For example:

“�” to “a”
“�” to “i”
“�” to “n”

and many more. Is there not a way in the preferences to automate this?

There is a word replacer but not a character replacer for changing the fields. But now I reread your question is your search just searching the filename rather than the fields themselves in which case you can remove these special charcters form the filename using

Preferences:File and Folder Correct:File and Folder Renaming:Replace Non Ascii Characters and Replace ‘From’ character with ‘To’ Character

[quote=paultaylor]There is a word replacer but not a character replacer for changing the fields. But now I reread your question is your search just searching the filename rather than the fields themselves in which case you can remove these special charcters form the filename using

Preferences:File and Folder Correct:File and Folder Renaming:Replace Non Ascii Characters and Replace ‘From’ character with ‘To’ Character

[/quote]

Thanks Paul, but no, I need to change the Internal tags.

Here is my problem (and I am sure others):

I have a large collection of MP3s, a lot of old songs of which Musibrainz nor Discogs recognize.

So I have songs which MusicBrains reconzizes and tags the artist field as: “Lola Beltr�n” and I also have songs which MusicBrainz does not find and the artist Tag is listed as: “Lola Beltran”

So when my music is organzied by my favorite player(s), it sees two different artists:
“Lola Beltr�n” -and-
“Lola Beltran”

So I need a character (not a word) changer to change all “�” to “a”. I don’t want to use a word replacer because the list of artist names is extensive and I would have to include all artists for the word replacer to work.

Unless I am missing something here, how are other folks doing this?

So I (we) need a character changer for the TAGS. You have one for the file name which is great. But what about the TAGS?

Wouldn’t you be better of changing “Lola Beltran” to “Lola Beltr�n” because the second version is the correct name. Although there would be more upfront work because you would have to add each artist to the Word Replacer, you wouldn’t have to keep doing it and over time Musicbrainz/Discogs will match your older tracks as their database grows.

[quote=paultaylor]Wouldn’t you be better of changing “Lola Beltran” to “Lola Beltr�n” because the second version is the correct name. Although there would be more upfront work because you would have to add each artist to the Word Replacer, you wouldn’t have to keep doing it and over time Musicbrainz/Discogs will match your older tracks as their database grows.
[/quote]
I thougth about doing this, but here is my concern.

You are correct that changing the artist name to the proper format is the correct way to go. But I have an extensive list of MP3’s (as others do) and I would literally have to add an exception (word replacer) for each and every artist and also for titles, album information, etc.

Also, as I add new songs, I would have to also add exceptions to those as well. It’s a never ending task and it would require a significant amount of work.

Are you able to add an option to Jaikoz recogize an artist name like “Lola Beltran” and see that MusicBrainz has an equivalent “Lola Beltr�n” and change the name accordingly? I think this would be a programming nightmare?

I rather have an option for a character replacement as I can add 10-15 characters to convert and I am done forever. Also, a lot of us here in the US don’t have keyboards with special characters, so I will never be able to search for “Beltr�n” even though that is the correct spelling. Also searching for titles such as “ma�anitas” would not be possible, so it’s not just artists names.

I am open to suggestions, so please let me know what you think.

One last question: If I change my music artist tags from “Lola Beltr�n” to “Lola Beltran”, are you saying that MusicBrainz will not be able to find that artist in it’s database for future look ups?

Perhaps just adding the Replace Non-Ascii Characters option for the local correcters for artist/album/title would be the best way to go, then you wouldn’t even have to enter a list of character conversions, and changes to the interface would be less.

Sounds Great. How do I do that? I just checked and am not sure how I go about setting that option.

Thanks Paul.

No, it doesnt exist yet !

I was suggesting it as the best way to add the functionality to Jaikoz

[quote=paultaylor]No, it doesnt exist yet !
I was suggesting it as the best way to add the functionality to Jaikoz[/quote]

Yes please! Add it to the next release, I REALLY need it. :slight_smile: I can’t imagine I am the only one needing this.

Similar to your Remove non-ascii characters for File Names, but have option for tags as well.

P.S. Any updates on when the next release may happen?

Its not exactly a priority , nobody else has ever requested it. If you REALLY want it you can pay $100 USD for a customisation and I’ll do it for the next release.

I am honestly confused by nobody asking for this, maybe they don’t know any better?

For example, I was able to do the above with mp3tag which is free by the way. After converting all my mp3’s, I re-ran my entire music collection on Jaikoz and Jaikoz found a lot more matches.

So just for the simple sake of being able to match more, you may want to add it as an option.

Hi Paul.

Checking to see if you plan on adding character TAG replacement anytime soon?

With our setup, we use a standard US keyboard to search for music and cannot find foreign names while searching the tags.

@joe123,
did you pay for the feature “adding character TAG replacement”?
It seems to me that you are the only one, who wants that feature.
And if you can help yourself with mp3tag, than you have the solution.

[quote=Alfg]@joe123,
did you pay for the feature “adding character TAG replacement”?
It seems to me that you are the only one, who wants that feature.
And if you can help yourself with mp3tag, than you have the solution.[/quote]

Nope, I am still hopeful and patiently waiting.

I should add that I bought and paid for the license and then I also bought and paid for the upgrade Pro version.

Hi Joe123

Im sorry but I have literally hundreds of suggested enhancements, and your is not very high on that list. I’m not even sure it is a good idea because you want it in order to change artist name sto the incorrect form.

Surely better would be to embrace Musicbrainz and use the Musicbrainz form, possibly adding the releases missing from Musicbrainz into the Musicbrainz database from Jaikoz.

Ok, maybe I am doing this wrong so I will bite.

For people who need to search for a song by tag information, and that tag contains a character that the input medium (keyboard, whatever) does not have, how does one go about searching then?

For example, I have a song with Tag artist of “Lola Beltr�n” and my device does not key the “�” character, how so I search for this artist?

You just need to type it in. There are plenty of different ways to do it even if you dont have a keyboard that shows that particular character on the keys. It may be different for different OS’s. You could check your character map. Or one way I like to type them on my windows system is using alt key codes. Basically holding down the alt key then typing the 4 numeric digits on the keypad while its held down that represents that character. (on a side note, also great for making ones password a tad harder to hack as most dont include special characters in their brute force look ups) A quick google search brought up this page as an example of some of the characters:

http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/accents/codealt.html

Depending on what your OS is, you can find additional ways of doing it by googling something along the lines of “How to type special characters in windows”

If you already have an artist that has that tag, you can just copy and paste it into the field. Some characters may show up as a Box instead if your OS does not have support for that character in the character set it uses. Windows with no language packs is horrible for that as it does not natively support utf-8. :frowning:

Ok. So I have SageTV and I have a SageTV remote from which I can enter characters to search.

Please tell me how I can search “Beltr�n” when there are no “�” on the remote?