SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Year Correct request: Always keep oldest date

I’m not interested in release dates in my music library. I want to label tracks with recording dates if at all possible. Basically, I always want the earliest possible date to apply. I would like to have a preference in Jaikoz to reflect my preference: when correcting release dates, always use the earliest date available, even if an authority claims to have a more accurate date.

You can do this in Jaikoz.

If you:

Enable Musicbrainz/Automatch/Do extra Searches to find Original Releases
Enable Musicbrainz/Format/Put Origional Year into Year field

Jaikoz will try and find the earliest release the recording was on, and put that release into the Year field (rather than the Original Release Year field)

Or if you are simply saying you have manually entered the earliest release year and dont want Jaikoz to overwrite it:

Set Musicbrainz/Format/Year/ to Replace If Empty
Set Remote Correct/Discogs/Year/ to Replace If Empty

You might in fact want to do both things.

In some cases I have carefully entered the original recording date on songs in my library. In other cases I may not have worked as hard to find that date, in which case I would like to Do Extra Searches and Put Original Year into Year field. Basically what I want is the earliest available date, whether it is one I have manually entered or one that came from an authority such as Musicbrainz or Discogs.

My observation is that Autocorrect finds those early dates about 60 to 80 percent of the time. Often Jaikoz refuses to match early releases for seemingly good reasons, such as mismatches in track length. I always override those decisions when forcing a match to a specific Discogs or Musicbrainz release.

[quote=Neon Scribe]In some cases I have carefully entered the original recording date on songs in my library. In other cases I may not have worked as hard to find that date, in which case I would like to Do Extra Searches and Put Original Year into Year field. Basically what I want is the earliest available date, whether it is one I have manually entered or one that came from an authority such as Musicbrainz or Discogs.
[/quote]
So you should set all four options.

Setting all four options still isn’t exactly what I want. I’m working with a large collection, some of which have years set manually to the recording date and some of which have years set automatically to CD release year. So in fact I would like an option that more aggressively uses the earliest available year.

I don’t follow.

Elvis may have a 1959 vinyl release, but MB matches the 1998 CD release. I think he is ignoring the media format and going for historical accuracy with only the original recording date.

This makes sense from a “Pretty Info” perspective, but gets really messy when you get into reissues w/bonus tracks and comps and stuff.

There is an “Original Release Year” field in Jaikoz, but a quick glance at my files and I see that this isn’t being filled in. I don’t see a place to use this at MB either. Maybe something to be addressed with MB?

Yes. A collector might care about the release date, but a listener cares almost exclusively about the recording date. Unfortunately that information can be hard to find. The oldest available release date is a good substitute for recording date. I’ve had some luck manually forcing Jaikoz to use the original vinyl release to get that, but Auto Correct seldom finds it. I would like to have a preference setting for using the earliest available date. If there are multiple matches in Musicbrainz I want to use the earliest date even if a later release is a better match. If the date on the track before Jaikoz intervenes is earlier then i want to keep that date. If Jaikoz finds an earlier date then I want to replace it. if Musicbrainz has the original recording date that is the gold standard, but few tracks have that information available.

Yes I realize what you mean is the difference between recording date nd release date, and that using the earliest release date is a good approximation of that. What I don’t understand is why you can’t to what you want using Jaikoz with the provided options. I just tested it myself to check it was still working on Abba:Greatest Hits, when I set the options as described below the Year set the date of track to years between 1974 and 1980. When I didnt, cleared out the MB Recoridng Id and Year field and ran again the dates were sent to 2002, so it does work although the algorithm may be worth revisiting as I maybe able to improve it inline with some improvements made post ngs.

To reitetate:
Enable Musicbrainz/Format/Put Original Year into Year field
Enable Musicbrainz/Automatch/Do Extra Searches to Find Original Release Year

Yes, what you describe works fine. What I was hoping for is that I would not have to clear out the existing date in order to have it changed to an earlier date.

And I realize that what I’m requesting would really only make it a little more convenient to use. The more challenging problem is that it is difficult to find the original date. I find myself browsing for vinyl releases, copying and pasting Musicbrainz and Discogs IDs into Jaikoz and sometimes forcing an override on an elapsed time mismatch. Then I have to do a little dance to change values: delete fields first then match to specific ID, or match first then delete fields then Remote Correct->Update Metadata. Deleting fields causes tracks to get reordered, which sometimes makes the track I was working on disappear from my current view.

I should probably turn this into a separate top level wishlist topic, but I’ll raise it here since it came up in this context. I find myself wanting some kind of “soft delete” capability. That is, I want to mark a set of fields as replaceable as if they had been deleted, without actually deleting them. If any data becomes available from another source, they should be replaced, otherwise they should survive. This “replaceable” condition should last until I quit or save. This would simplify some of the operations I’ve been trying to do. You could mark those fields with a new color to indicate their status.

I realize this is a significant request, but I think it might be of general interest.

But this is the default in Preferences:Musicbrainz:Format, fields set to Always Replace Values, meaning that if the match to Musicbrainz has a value it will replace any existing value, but it doesn’t have any values the field isn’t changed to blank it is left with the existing value.

Additionally, to take advantage of Soft Delete in the general sense, are you aware of View/Show View Pane , this way you can always see the current value of any field before you made any changes, and you can revert changes to any field using the Edit/Undo.

I would like to see this implemented as well. Sorting through a long list to check that earlier song dates haven’t changed is tedious, but only adding dates to blank entries doesn’t update incorrect later information.

I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching and correcting my Year metadate to reflect recording/first release dates. However, I haven’t always been able to do this (sometimes I can’t find the info, sometimes I just haven’t taken the time). I never want my earlier date overwritten. I’ll live with my errors! This is especially annoying if the date MusicBrainz comes up with is a much later CD rerelease. Nothing like having your 1930s tracks come up mixed in with your 2010s tracks.

On the other hand, when I don’t have the data or haven’t been able to update it, I want the most reliable information available?the MB data.

Finally?this is less important, but would be cool?I’d love to have an option to keep the release date for compilations or have Jaikoz try to find the earliest date for individual tracks.

I think this is what you want http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-584

Yes, this is what I like too.

Now done http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-584 in Jaikoz 5.2.0

Thank you! This helps my workflow.