SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Windows 7 & Memory Increase

If you are trying to increase the memory Jaikoz uses in your Windows 7 environment you will find these tips very important.

1. Make sure your PATH system variable includes the java binaries. Because in the Windows environment if the jaikoz.bat file cannot find java it will then run the jaikoz.exe which does not have the memory settings increased.

You can checking to see if the binaries are in the path by typing java at a DOS prompt and if you get a Bad command or filename you do not have java in your PATH. The location of the java binaries can vary based upon the installed location but mine were:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

You can temporarily set the PATH so you can test that session by issuing the following command at a DOS prompt:

SET PATH=%PATH%;c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

To permanently set the PATH you need to modify the system variables in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables

1. Modify the jaikoz.bat file for more memory assuming your system can support it. Here is the syntax from a previous thread:

windows:jaikoz.bat
java -Xms150m -Xmx300m lib\jaikoz.jar -l2 -m2 -f
becomes
java -Xms150m -Xmx300m -XX:MaxPermSize=150m -jar lib\jaikoz.jar -l2 -m2 -f

windows:jaikoz.exe
here the bad news, its not possible to change this value for .exe file so if you are running into this problem you will have to use jaikoz.bat instead for the moment.

OSX:Info.plist
<string>-Xms150m -Xmx300m</string>
becomes
<string>-Xms150m -Xmx300m -XX:MaxPermSize=150m</string>

linux:jaikoz.sh
java -Xms150m -Xmx300m -jar lib/jaikoz.jar -l2 -m2 -f
becomes
java -Xms150m -Xmx300m -XX:MaxPermSize=150m -jar lib/jaikoz.jar -l2 -m2 -f

1. You will want to confirm that your new memory settings are in use by launching jaikoz and looking at the bottom details pane - specifically the Console tab. You should have something like this in the first line:

Jun 24, 2012 7:56:09 PM: INFO: Jaikoz has been configured with minimum heap memory of 150 mb, maximum heap memory of 795 mb and maximum permanent memory of 216 mb

You should look to make sure they settings you placed in the jaikoz.bat file match this line.

1. If you keep seeing the same memory settings regardless of what you put in your jaikoz.bat file you are probably running the jaikoz.exe because your path is wrong. I renamed my jaikoz.exe just in case to prevent it from accidentally running.

After I got my settings changed I noticed a huge performance difference on my files.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Is this applicable to SK?

W7ULTx64-4gbRAM/2.66DuoCPU