SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Verifing if port 10001 is open.

Is there a way I can verify that port 10001 is open, or will the software tell me?

It ‘seems’ to be taking a long time to get acoustic ID’s altho I am not sure how long it “should” take. At present, it takes about 30-35 minutes to Autocorrect about 100 mp3’s. Is this about the right time?

Regards Jon

http://www.google.com/search?q=port+check

Yeah, I tried a few of those, but dont they just check if incoming ports on my network are blocked from view from the net?

The way I understand it is that we need to be able to enable OUTGOING port 10001

[quote=jonfromoz]Yeah, I tried a few of those, but dont they just check if incoming ports on my network are blocked from view from the net?

The way I understand it is that we need to be able to enable OUTGOING port 10001[/quote]
You are right John, it is the outgoing port that is a problem - and it only applies to MusicIP not Musicbrainz. Jaikoz should issue a warning when you first start it if it cant access port 10001, but it wont repeat this warning until you restart Jaikoz. The easiest way to confirm there is a problem is too temporarily disable your firewall completely and try to Retrieve Acoustic Ids and see if it works okay in a reasonable time.

30 minutes for 100 tracks is ridicolousy slow it should take no more than 5 seconds per song for the full autocorrect.

Thanks for the replies,
I dont get any message about port 10001 not being able to be accessed, so I assume (one shouldnt I suppose!!) that I can access it.
The only firewall running is on my Windows boxes, and it is the XP firewall. The Macs dont run one that I know of.
I think I will need to do some tweaking in my router, so could you confirm somethings…

Jaikoz makes a request on port 10001 outbound and listens for a reply on the same port? If no reply (time out), it re requests on port 80?
On an older router I had, I had to set port forwarding for some applications to run as they were port specific also. Since replacing that router, I havent had to set these up, they just work. I am assuming I would have to set up port 10001 as I used to.

Jon

[quote=jonfromoz]
Jaikoz makes a request on port 10001 outbound and listens for a reply on the same port? If no reply (time out), it re requests on port 80?
On an older router I had, I had to set port forwarding for some applications to run as they were port specific also. Since replacing that router, I havent had to set these up, they just work. I am assuming I would have to set up port 10001 as I used to.
Jon[/quote]
Yes, that is correct please let me know how you get on.

No luck.

I have tried forwarding port 10001 to my main PC and then my main MAC with no better result. I even tried putting them in the DMZ (one at a time of course) and still no better.

Guees I shall just set it running on 500 or so tracks and come back in a few hours time to see how its going.

Jon

[quote=paultaylor][quote=jonfromoz]
Jon[/quote]
Yes, that is correct please let me know how you get on.[/quote]

I was sniffing my traffic, but response from musicip server is not on 10001 on my machine, but on 2048+ port and port is increasing +1 ( now im not sure with increasing ), but port 10001 on my pc is closed / netstat -an

[quote=pschonmann]
I was sniffing my traffic, but response from musicip server is not on 10001 on my machine, but on 2048+ port and port is increasing +1 ( now im not sure with increasing ), but port 10001 on my pc is closed / netstat -an[/quote]

So you are saying its not on port 10001?

Now Im getting really confused!

Yeap there is initiation of communication.

No.     Time        Source                Destination           Protocol Info
      7 8.520653    10.0.0.1             207.178.180.60        TCP      15719 > 10001 [SYN] Seq=0 Win=64512 Len=0 MSS=1452 WS=0
No.     Time        Source                Destination           Protocol Info
      8 8.699333    207.178.180.60        10.0.0.1             TCP      10001 > 15719 [SYN, ACK] Seq=0 Ack=1 Win=5840 Len=0 MSS=1380 WS=7

Yes, Im confused as well your trace shows it does use Port 10001 so arent you contradicting yourself.

[quote=paultaylor][quote=jonfromoz]
Jaikoz makes a request on port 10001 outbound and [color=red] listens for a reply on the same port? [/color] [/quote]

I say thats false, jaikoz isnt listenening on 10001, then portforward is nonsense on this port

I think I have found my problem…

I run a proxy server to connect to the internet - long story, but it PAYS me about $200.00 a year.

When I disable this, things seem to go a little quicker. Just did a quick check and results were 50 tracks in just under 4 minutes.

Going to do a big batch now and time that…

Jon

[quote=pschonmann][quote=paultaylor][quote=jonfromoz]
Jaikoz makes a request on port 10001 outbound and [color=red] listens for a reply on the same port? [/color] [/quote]
I say thats false, jaikoz isnt listenening on 10001, then portforward is nonsense on this port[/quote]
Ok, but they key thing is that still must be able to create an outbound connection on 10001 , if you cant you’ll have a problem

Genpuid 1.4 it can be configured to use port 80 (default port for connecting to web) instead, this version will be used in Jaikoz 2.8 out next week so this issue will go away :slight_smile:

hooray! next release !