SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Unable to update iTunes

I downloaded and installed 3.6.0 over the weekend. I have been shopping for a good music org system for some time now.
My first impressions were good. Then…pow…right in the kisser.
Yesterday I enabled the feature which will update my iTunes DB then I started getting the following error any time I tried to save. (I have read through your forums and have seen other items posted, but none seemed to be the same).

Unable to update iTunes:iTunes was busy and could not be updated, please do not use iTunes whilst updating from Jaikoz

I tried saving with itunes open and I get the same error.
I close iTunes and when I go to save changes in Jaikos it opens up itunes and gives me the same message.
Then when I try to close iTunes I get an error message the iTunes can’t be closed because it is busy, I have to force it closed.

The problem this has caused is even though I can only change 20 songs at a time with your demo, while trying to figure out what I was doing wrong I had done almost 100 songs in my 4000 song library. It appears that the songs were moved but the itunes database was not updated. I now get a lost file error when I try to play any of them in itunes and I have no idea where the songs were moved to. I have found a few of them by doing searches, but the process has been daunting at best.

Your software has got a few really great features, but obviously this would be a show stopper.

Bryan

Is iTunes trying to update itself or update third party software, this is the normal reason for this busy error ?

If not are you using Windows or OSX because the code for updating iTunes is different in each case, if you could email your support files (Advanced/Create Support Files) that would be useful. Also if the files were moved in Jaikoz that should be in the log files, so I can check these for you and tell you where your files are.

Having said that integration with iTunes is difficult because of the way iTunes works. Do you have iTunes configured to ‘Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized’, if so are you modifying the filename of the songs in Jaikoz or just the metadata, you shouldn’t be modifying the actual filename in both Jaikoz and iTunes - you need to choose who you want in charge.

If you are just modifying the metadata in Jaikoz than the iTunes integration is really just informing iTunes that the the metadata has been modified, you can update iTunes yourself by selecting all the files, bringing up the context menu and selecting ‘Get Info’

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.
No, iTunes is not (or should not be) updating itself or anything else. I only get that error after I have tried to save in Jaikoz and the save fails with the error.
I am using Win 7.
I have already sent the support files.
I did have the ‘Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized’ turned on in iTunes, but I truned it off. That was one of the first things I tried. I couldn’t and still can’t figure out why itunes keeps opening when I try and save in Jaikoz.
I am updating both Metadata, file names and sub folders.

Thanks for the support file, Ive sent you an email detailing where the files are being moved to.

If you have Jaikoz configured to update iTunes then Jaikoz has to start iTunes in order to tell it what is has changed. I think the error message might be a red herring, a catch all error for an unexpected error when talking to iTunes.

Is your PC 64bit ?

I am also having the same problem. Updating iTunes worked fine before, but since I updated iTunes to the new version (9.2), auto-update doesn’t work.

The error message is:
“Unable to update iTunes:iTunes was busy and could not be updated, please do not use itunes whilst updating from jaikoz”

When this happens, I am not using iTunes.

If I close iTunes, and let Jaikoz try to open iTunes, I get a different error:
“Unable to update iTunes:iTunes does not appear to be installed”

I’m using Windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

Thanks.
Dave

Sorry updating iTunes automatically from Jaikoz for 64bit Windows doesn’t work at the moment because of an issue with the com4j library on 64bit computers.