SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Unable to save over network.

The past week or so, I have been having problems with using jaikoz with files stored on a network. I believe this is the first time using it on a network, i usually work locally. It seems to be something about being unable to modify the files with jaikoz over the network. I’ll list the things I have tried, I believe the problem is with jaikoz.

I copied the network files to a local drive and then used jaikoz on them, and everything worked fine.
The same files over the network will not save any of the changes. However, the when the save button is clicked, the program behaves as if everything worked. only after checking the files, or reopening them later in jaikoz do i see that none of the changes were saved.

I though perhaps i have permission issues on the network. I tried another program to edit the id tags over the network, and it worked fine. i also tried editing the files directly over the network by right clicking and going to properties, this also worked fine. So only with jaikoz it doesn’t work, as far as file modifications.

Are you on Windows, if so please use a network mounted drive rather than referring to network path directly

e.g Z:\music rather than //nas/media/music

[quote=paultaylor]Are you on Windows, if so please use a network mounted drive rather than referring to network path directly

e.g Z:\music rather than //nas/media/music[/quote]
yes, i was using the network path.

i just assigned a letter to map the drive. but the letter doesn’t show up in the jaikoz list when i go to “open folder”. I even tried while running with elevated rights.

also just tried this:
even thought the network drive letter doesn’t show up, i just typed the path in directly with the letter. still did not work. it seems to just substitute the network path when i do that anyway (you can tell in the recents menu).

Did you mount network drive BEFORE opening Jaikoz, that might make a difference. If it still doesnt work I need to see some screenshots

yes. i even rebooted and tried that way. the network drive letter doesnt show up in jaikoz.

I sent you screenshots to your PM on the forum.

SOlved!!

ok here was my problem. Earlier when I had problems with the network, i thought it was a permissions issue. I set the properties of jaikoz exe to run as admin. But i just learned that recently windows changed some things, and mapped drives wont always show up if you are admin, but they will if your are not. so i disabled it (went back to normal) and now the drive letter shows up. very strange windows.

ah great, I cant say i really understand permissions on Windows, it is indeed strange.

ok i am having some more problems on the network
now my initial problem is gone, i can open the files, modify them, save, everything seems ok.

but the changes dont save, and all sorts of problems. If an operation requires moving the files from one directory to another, jaikoz will show a successful operation, but if i reopen the files, all the metadata is missing, and i have to redo everything again. THe moving of the files seems to mess things up. If i don’t move the files, just change the metadat, its not as bad, although there will be a field or two missing. It takes a couple of tries to use jaikoz over the network.

Is this with mounted drive ?

yes.
Letter or not, none of the network actions are working reliably. If there’s a way, please let me know, it would be very handy. IT would help me avoid copying files back and forth constantly.

Using a letter there should be no problem, if there is this would indicate to me that you have an unreliable connection.

Using the network path directly there are some problems and this should not be used.

[quote=paultaylor]Using a letter there should be no problem, if there is this would indicate to me that you have an unreliable connection.

Using the network path directly there are some problems and this should not be used.[/quote]
ok thanks for the quick response. I’ll check it out.

You’re probably right. MS really changed a lot of network stuff lately.

[quote=dorothy89][quote=paultaylor]Using a letter there should be no problem, if there is this would indicate to me that you have an unreliable connection.

Using the network path directly there are some problems and this should not be used.[/quote]
ok thanks for the quick response. I’ll check it out.

You’re probably right. MS really changed a lot of network stuff lately.[/quote]
I tried out some more tests today. I think jaikoz is where the issue lies…here’s what i did.

i installed jaikoz on the server itself, so I’m using jaikoz locally on the files right on the drive. It still doesn’t work. Every other id-tag changing i did worked fine. I changed it through windows properties, i used another tool like tag&rename, they all worked fine.

I also tried the other software over the network, and it worked fine also. Only jaikoz cant do it. tag&rename will error over the network if there are too many files, but the changed files remain fine. jaikoz shows the files changed, but none of the changes stick. it ONLY works on a local drive for me as long as the drive is not an actual server. maybe you have something in the software preventing it working on servers or over the network or something.

If you are saying it doesnt work for local files then I think you are doing something wrong /misunderstanding something, can you email support files again with details or why you think you saved changes and how you checking that the changes arent being saved.

So currently the problem seems to be there is a permissions/io error when running on windows machine but against TRAID drive, I think the TRAID may be the problem but waiting for more information and confirmation that the T: drive really is a locally attached drive.