SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Songkong Is Not Finding AAC Files

I am using a older version of Songkong I have a folder with AAC files in it and the program does not find the tracks?? Could it be the older version does not work with AAC Files?? I have used Fre:ac to convert the tracks to AAC https://www.freac.org/

SongKong ignores .aac files but if you simply rename them to .mp4 files then it should work

I have 100k track should I remane all to MP4?? I know the newest version read my AAC files just fine. If I change all the tracks to mp4 edit all the tags then change back to AAC will all the tracks still be there??

I dont think any version of SongKong supports .aac, but if you find a later version that does why dont you use that then ?

I only have a registered version of 4.10

In general, .aac files do not support tags. However, .m4a files containing AAC audio, do support tags. In general, .mp4 files are used for video + audio, and not for audio only.

Suggestions @DJboutit:

• Use Fre:ac to convert tracks to .m4a files (containing AAC audio).
  • If you don’t want to use Fre:ac to convert tracks again, you can losslessly convert .aac files to .m4a files. See here.

Have tried simply renaming from .aac to mp4, I dont think you have to actually convert them.

Renaming from .aac to .mp4, may be the easiest way to be able to add tags to those files – if you don’t mind having a music collection in .mp4 files.

But if you, after adding tags to those .mp4 files, rename those files back to .aac files – I expect that those tags will be invisible to most (or all) music players. I expect this, because the .aac file format does not officially support tags. [I did not test this. Perhaps it will work in some situations.]

Lossless “conversion” from .aac files to .m4a files is not conversion in the sense that the audio data will change – but is “adding a m4a wrapper to aac audio”. The audio data will not change, so the quality of the audio will remain the same. .m4a is a wrapper or container file format that can contain raw aac audio, and also supports tags. Because the audio data stays the same, lossless “conversion” from .aac files to .m4a files goes very quickly.

If you first losslessly convert from .aac files to .m4a files, and after that add tags to those files, you end up with tagged audio files that can be played in most contemporary music players.

Why would you rename them back to .aac files ?

I am not sure my radio automation software Radio Boss will play MP4 or M4A

I would assume they will if can play aac but you just need to try it. And SongKong 4.10 is very old you would gain a lot from updating to the current version.

I would never try a thing like that, but that’s what DJboutit seemed to consider:

Perhaps renaming .mp4 files to .aac files, will make those files just unusable.