SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

SongKong - Add support for managing / updating music stored on Google Drive or other cloud storage providers

Via API calls,

Add songkong support for managing / updating music stored on Google Drive or other cloud storage providers.

Robert

Interesting idea, I will have to do some research on this.

1 Like

I want to revive this because I definitely want this network/google cloud storage feature. Badly.

Hi, of course it already works with your network, if your files are visible to your computer as files they can be fixed by SonKong.

Regarding Google Cloud I am not that familiar with it in order to match and fix the files they would probably have to be downloaded and then uploaded back to the Cloud, you could do this yourself but I guess you want this to be hidden from you, perhaps you could sketch out how you see this working so I can consider further.

Hello,

I can’t see my Google Drive folder for some reason, though it is mounted in my File Manager.

BUT - I did just notice that I can access the files located in another cloud-services-provider that has been mounted with rclone.
Rclone mounts any local, cloud or virtual filesystem as a disk on Windows, macOS, linux and FreeBSD, and also serves these over SFTP, HTTP, WebDAV, FTP and DLNA.

I have not used rclone with Google Drive, because my OS provides the ability to add that Online Account in the Settings application.

The reason I think I can see the files mounted by rclone, is because the folder location was placed in home/@user when configuring the provider through rclone. I think rclone has compatibility with Google Drive, but as the option to connect to GDrive already exists via my OS settings app, I would prefer to not have to go backwards and mount it with rclone.

That is currently what I think I have to do with Google unless you can seem to find a way to make this work?

As far as sketch for planning purposes: I’m new to linux in general (1 year maybe) and I don’t have the expertise to know what I’m talking about.

BUT - I think the request would be something along the lines of:

• Where would my Google Drive folder be located (the one that I can see inside SongKong’s file-browser)

• Can we have a function in SongKong to view the same mounted cloud storage drive which we can see in our File Manager? Assuming it relates to permissions? If this is to work, I don’t think GDrive files can be hidden to me or SongKong.

Thank you!

I feel the solution here is really for you to sort out your google drive so that is mounted as a filesystem, it sounds like you have a possible solution with rclone.

This makes much more sense then me trying to support niche file protocols.

If the files can be seen as a regular on the network then SongKong should be able to access them

Thanks Paul.

I will Google around to see if possible to locally mount the Google drive files with current network configuration without another application

This doesn’t seem niche that much to me and seems like a good feature to add for increased functionality and user experience. It’s also been something others have asked about in my searches too

You had previously mentioned that the licenses for Jaikoz and SongKong are separate. To clarify, does this mean there is no plan to allow customers to use their existing paid license for both?

Thanks. New customer and still trying to figure out all the quirks.

Maybe it isnt niche, but I would rather spent time working on SongKong main purpose (accurately identifying songs and adding consistent detailed metadata) rather than delving into custom file protocols. This is especially awkward for SongKong as these kind of things are not very consistent on different platforms (linux/windows/macos) so there are more work to write and test, and if I did do it then there would be a request for other cloud network solutions.

Whereas if you resolve the issue at your end then you can use all types of programs with your Googel Cloud without any of them having to be written specifically for Google Cloud.

Correct, they are separate software so why would I provide both for the price of one. But if you are on the mailing lists we do offer discounts sometimes for existing customers of one for the other.

Agree. I was just thinking of the sheer number of people that use the application, who then find out about the cloud/network drive integration and also getting excited about it.
It like that tree that falls in the forest… I’m thinking too of the people who haven’t asked, or even thought to search, for something like that but can see that value anyway.

I appreciate your thoughtful responses and hope to see this as a minor update in the future.

I originally asked because I wanted to avoid re-downloading any of my large collection of drive music, to tag it with SonKong Pro, then need to re-upload it all again(slower) to my drive if I cared to keep any changes. Sure, I could always store my stuff locally on a physical drive, and some of it I do.