SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Some files reported as 32kbps?

Hi there, just checking out the demo version for Mac OS X. Immediately found this strange problem:

I open a folder of songs, Jaikoz seems to analyze some files correctly, but others have their bitrate shown as 32kbps. Then when I go back to iTunes, the bit rates have changed to 32kbps also, and the song lengths are much longer than they should be (a 6 minute song is now 28 minutes, etc).

Maybe I’m doing something really wrong? Thanks for any ideas, it’s cool software otherwise.

Jaikoz Demo 2.4.0 (1045) April 22 2008
Mac OS X 10.5.2
iTunes 7.6.2 (9)

I assume there are in Mp3 format ?
Can you:
Start Jaikoz
Open your problem files
Select View/Show View Pane menu
Select the View Audio tab and see what Format the files are.

Most ‘mp3s’ are MPEG-1 Layer III, but there are other rarer versions and possibly there is a problem with reading one of these formats. But I am
suprised that even if Jaikoz was reading the value incorrectly that it would actually chnage the bitrate as this is encoded in the audio data. Are you sure these were not reported like this in iTunes originally, do the songs play ok ?

Hi Paul thanks for the reply.

Jaikoz says the files are MPEG-1 Layer 3. But the bit rate says 32kbps. Joint Stereo, 44.1 kHz.

These tracks are Variable Bit Rate according to iTunes, but in Jaikoz the “Is VBR” column is not checked, if that’s any help.

In iTunes, one of the tracks shows the bit rate as “227 kbps (VBR)”, for example.

When I save changes to this song in Jaikoz, then the bit rate in iTunes changes to 32kbps, and the song length changes accordingly. The audio still plays fine however. In fact, when I play the song through, iTunes still jumps to the next track when this song finished. So, although iTunes says 32 minutes for the song length, it still ended at 4:30.

Bizarre. Is it possible these mp3’s were ripped with a buggy encoder maybe? I’ve used several encoders over the years (Music Match, freeware rippers, etc.).

What I don’t understand is that Jaikoz doesn’t actually change the bitrate of Mp3s so even if it incorrectly misread the bitrate I dont really see how it would change it so it affected iTunes. If you could send me two copies of one of these files (before and after the change by Jaikoz) for testing that would be great and then I could solve this issue for you, without the files there is little that I can do.

Found the cause of the problem, the files contains VBRI vbr header (as used by franhofer encoder) , Jaikoz only understands the much more common Xing header. Will add support for this header soon.

Excellent! Good work Paul.