SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Selection

Maybe I’m doing something wrong but I often get this message that I’m trying to apply an action but I only have one track selected. However, even when I then cancel all filters, and select my filters again, I still get the message. The only way to get passed it seems to be doing a select all.

Is the selection of tracks not affected by filter selection? If so, that seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. Though, it could also just be a user education issue too. When things don’t work as I expect them to, I sometimes automatically assume it’s wrong, then after a little bit of thought I figure out it’s actually better, even if it will take some getting used to.

On a related note, it’s a little difficult to tell what tracks are selected at a glance since it seems to only be a somewhat subtle color change of the actual id number and nothing else. One of those multi-select checkboxes might be nice to have as the header for the id column, if it doesn’t interfere with sorting.

Hi, the problem is that the recno column column and the edit table have different selection criteria, commands need to know what cells have been selected (such as Copy, Paste) act on what is selected in the main table, whereas commands that work on songs (such as Correct from MusicBrainz) work on what is selected in the recno column.

Why have I done this ?
Well once you start editing fields in the main table edit table there is always at least one field selected so it would be very annoying if every time you ran tasks such as Correct Metadata from Musicbrainz it looked at what is selected in the main table because this would mean it usually would just be applied to one song. Whereas nothing is neccessarily selected in the recno column, and if it is you can unselect by just clicking on the selected recos(s) again ( or by using Edit:Select None). If nothing is selected then tasks such as Correct Metadata from Musicbrainz work on all songs.

How did you used to do this ?
Jaikoz has worked like this for some time (at least a year) but it used to worked so that tasks like Correct Metadata from MusicBrainz always worked on all songs, however this meant when you only wanted it to work on some songs you had to use the context menu. This was not very natural for Mac users, you could also use a shortcut but we needed two shortcuts for each task one to work on all songs and one to work on selected songs, this quickly became very clunky.

How can we improve this ?
I don’t know, maybe have a way of toggling so song based tasks always work on all songs, Im open to suggestions …

Also see http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-721 &
http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-267

What OS are you on, the background colour of selected recnos should change

Sounds like it’s a difficult problem. I’m open to whatever solution you come up with but I agree that there must be another way.

As for the selection colors, it’s very difficult to tell what is and isn’t selected.

I’m on Linux and using the Linux appearance in the settings. The problem seems to be that the rows have an alternating color for the recno column, regardless of selection status, every other column is a light blueish color (I think, I’m not so good with colors) and the remaining (even) rows are white. The problem is that the selected color is the same color, or very similar to this alternating row color.

I’m at work or I’d send you a screen shot. I can do it later.

Here are a couple of screen shots. In one image nothing is selected, the other image shows the first 6 songs selected.

Update: I tested the other appearance settings and Linux Plastic and Cross Platform seem to work okay. Selected items are much easier to see. Selections using the System appearance are not discernible at all.

I still prefer the Linux setting and the System setting the most (of course, it had to be the two I liked the most) to the others, so it would be great if the selections worked better for these two appearance settings.

Hi mark

okay that is a bug Ive raised http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-970 but I must warn you that Linux is a small percentage of my user base and within that you are most probably the one user actually using that look and feel rather than the default. So unless I can fix it easily it may not be fixed quickly.

Fair enough. I’d be interested in what appearance is the default on Linux and what most people are using. I thought it was ‘Cross Platform’ which is probably my least favorite. I’d be surprised if that is the one that most people are using since it isn’t very good. I am kind of warming up to the ‘System’ appearance but it scales everything based on the window manager settings and that would take some getting used to.

Thanks