SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Saving to Artist folder not Album Artist folder

I have some albums that are compilations and have Various Artists for the Album Artist, but when I tell Jaikoz to change the subfolders to match the metadata it is putting them in folders by Artist not Album Artist. IOW I want them in a folder called Various Artists in a folder named by the Album.

I was going to say are they actually marked as compilations, even though they may actually be compilations the flag might not be set in MusicBrainz and hence in Jaikoz. This is important because there are two rename masks, one for non-compilations and one for compilations, hoeever the default mask for both is the same

ifnotempty2(albumartist,artist,folderseparator) + ifnotempty(album,folderseparator) + (disctotal>1 ? discno + folderseparator : ‘’)

so unless you have actually changed them this should not matter.

So it think in your case these songs have not actually been matched to MusicBrainz (check by displaying the MB Recording Id column and seeing if it has a value), and that your songs do not actually have anything in the Album Artist field, in which case the mask uses the artist field instead.

I think this was a case of operator error. Since I ran into this problem I have played around a bit more with things like renaming subfolders based on metadata, marking things and compilations, etc. I think I have got the hang of it now. I am still a bit confused about “Various Artists” vs “Compilations” and how iTunes and Jaikoz handle naming things. I still need to tinker with things a bit more so I don’t end up with both a “Compilations” and a “Various Artists” subfolder. I assume that every thing should be in one or the other. And it looks like iTunes prefers Compilations.

Yes, well there is an unresolved debate about whether a compilation should only mean a Various Artist album or includes a a single artist release such as a ‘Greatest Hits’ release, and where such releases should be put.

http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-36

iTunes keeps changing how it inteprets such releases which doesn’t help