SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Rating tag

Got a question about the rating tag. I want to use rating to distinguish music I like and less like in a large library (2000+ albums).

I use Jaikoz (mac version) to add a rating to a combination of m4a, flac and mp3 files. These music files are stored on a Synology nas. In the properties of Minimserver (the upnp server running on the nas) I have added “Rating” to index. The problem is that not all rating is indexed and displayed correctly in either plugplayer, kinsky or chorusds. For some songs the rating shows correctly others don’t show at all.

I analysed it a bit deeper and found out it works great for flac files. I looked with mediainfo (installed on the synology nas itself) at the actual tags and I see a “Rating” tag (for example 60 for 3 stars in Jaikoz). Plugplayer and the other controllers show the exact number (e.g. 60).

But it doesn’t work for the m4a files. Mediainfo shows “rate” and “RATING MM” but no “Rating” tag. This way minimserver can’t find the rating of m4a files.

According to the developer of minimserver the m4a files custom tags (such as Rating) should be written inside the ‘----’ atom, and MinimServer reads this atom and its contents. It seems that Jaikoz isn’t writing Rating information to this location.

Can anybody tell me how Jaikoz writes Rating information inside an m4a file? And is there a way to change the behavior so that Jaikoz treats m4a and flac the same?

Hi, Jaikoz uses the rate tag, this was also used by Media Monkey at the time it was added. There is not a defined standard for ratings in mp4, the correct answer is most probably to use the most popular field but many players such as iTunes actually store ratings in a separate database rather than store the ratings in the files themselves which makes mapping ratings confusing.

There is currently no way to change this mapping in Jaikoz, I’ve created

http://www.jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-504

to look into this further.