SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Problem with Jaikoz 5.7.0 on OSX if using iTunes integration

Unfortunately some Mac customers have found that Jaikoz 5.7.0 may hang on startup if Preferences:Save:iTunes Update:Automatically Update iTunes is enabled. This doesn’t happen for everyone but is not an isolated case and I haven’t yet worked out a solution.

So the option is to either:

1. Not update from Jaikoz 5.6.0, the earlier Musicbrainz problem has been reverted for now so everything will work as usual you just won’t get the latest fixes in Jaikoz 5.7.0 yet.

2. Check Preferences:Save:iTunes Update:Automatically Update iTunes is disabled then update. This will also work, the problem only occurs if you have this option enabled but you should disable before upgrading to 5.7.0 because if you hit the problem you wont be able to disable later because Jaikoz may hang.

3. Upgrade to 5.7.0 anyway even if need iTunes integration because it may work, after all it works fine for me.If you hit a problem you can always reinstall Jaikoz 5.6.0, link here http://jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload560/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=125

I’ve temporarily stopped automatic notification that 5.7.0 is the latest version available and expect to resolve this within the next few day.

Update:there was an issue with Jaikoz 5.7.0 on OSX that it was looking for a songkong file rather than a jaikoz file, and I didnt pick this up during testing as my machine already had the songkong file !

So an update to Jaikoz 5.7.0 was uploaded to the website at the weekend that fixed this issue, you can check you have this version by checking the Build date in the About dialog it should say 19/10/2013 rather than 15/10/2013 if you have the old version just download again.

But this release wasn’t publicised as it didn’t solve the customer reported issue, a second customer has reported a similar issue but turns out that was due to a OSX 10.9 (Mavericks) issue, and Mavericks is not released yet.

So Im not really sure if we have a big issue here or not, feedback please, who else has tried Jaikoz 5.7.0 on OSX with iTunes integration enabled, and did it work ?

This is happening to me. It happened with the 15/10 build on OSX 10.8 and it is still happening with the 19/10 build on OSX 10.9. It is not completely hanging. The mouse does not respond but keyboard shortcuts seem to work. At any rate, I was able to open a folder using Command-O. (The mouse worked within the file dialog for the Open Folder command but not before or after at the top level in Jaikoz.) When I tried it last week with the 15/10 build and OSX 10.8 the mouse eventually started working. I don’t know exactly how long it took, but when I came back the next day it was working. I will let you know tomorrow if it works with the 19/10 build on OSX 10.9.

25 minutes after I started Jaikoz, it started responding normally to mouse events. I was trying various keyboard shortcuts at the time as well, so I don’t know if it was only the passage of time that fixed it.

I will turn off iTunes integration for now, but I can continue to debug this if you like.

Hi, I’m guessing that it took 25 minutes to build a model of the iTunes library, on Mavericks it complains that Jaikoz does not have permissions to talk to iTunes but seems to allow it anyway, albeit very slowly !

You should have a file called /tmp/jaikoz_itunes_model.txt this gets created every time Jaikoz starts , but doesnt get recreated whilst using Jaikoz so I hope that once this is created Jaikoz should work okay for you, but obviously this solution is not acceptable. Unfortunately the permissions reason OSX gives makes no sense and I dont have a solution yet.

I turned off iTunes integration, but did not restart Jaikoz. I am experiencing extended timeouts doing various operations, such as Auto Correct and Match to Specific Discogs ID. When I try to cancel those operations, items in the menubar remain greyed out for several minutes. Also, the Control-Click (right-click) menus aren’t working. The menu pops up, but none of the submenus appear.

Okay, Ive just tried Jaikoz 5.6.0 on Mavericks to remove the iTunes issue I dont seem to have the timeout problem but can see that the submenus are not appearing, but this is fixed in the Java 7 version Im working on now.

I then tried 5.7.0, this has the same submenu problem but still not seeing the timeout problem

So not sure about the timeout issue, but submenus definently broken, but work is progressing well on the Java 7 replacement, please be patient.

The timeout issue may be due to the size of my iTunes library, but it is new behavior as of 5.7.0. It happened before I updated to Mavericks, on the 15/10 build. I’d be happy to pre-test your Java 7 build.

By the way, my Java is currently 1.6.0_34, but I can install 1.7.

The current version of Jaikoz will not work at all with Java 7 on OSX because the way application bundles are created is completely different between Java 6 and 7. The new version of Java will come with Java 7 packaged inside it so you dont have to seperately install Java

I think the timeout problem may be:

If you just disable Automatically disable Update iTunes Library, the other options are greyed out but remain ticked and then the relevent code still tries to do them. Please try renabling Automatically disable Update iTunes Library so you can properly deselect the other three options (Create an iTunes playlist etc) and then deselect update iTunes so that all options are unselected and try again.

Done.

Do you expect to have a fix for iTunes integration in Mavericks soon? As long as we’re on the subject, I would really love to have iTunes integration in the other direction. That is, I want to select some tracks in iTunes, run an Applescript command, then have those tracks appear in Jaikoz. Saving the tracks should update iTunes as well. I expect such a feature would be relatively easy to do, and there are probably even other Applescripts that do similar things already.

Hi now have preview of Jaikoz 6.0.0 which is Mavericks compatible now available from http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

Please see if this solves your general Mavericks issues and the iTunes issue.

Note the code signing has been done incorrectly so if your Macs setting only allow to open applications from known developers you’ll need to hold down the control key when you click on Jaikoz and select Open to start it first time. The code-signing will be fixed in due course but I didn’t want to delay making this available.

There are some outstanding issues for the Java 6 Java 7 conversion but because Mavericks was released earlier then expected I haven’t had time to address these http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-732 but already I think it is better than the Java 6 version, and hopefully the iTunes issue should now be fixed.

This release has a bug

As a workaround after installing Jaikoz you need to copy to:
/Applications/Jaikoz.app/Contents/Java/settings.xsd into your home folder and

I wll prepare a new release with a fix later today

Okay, this particular problem is now fixed, you can download using this link

http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/manualdownload600/jaikoz-osx.dmg?val=126

(the code-signing problem remains)