SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Non-ascii code files are not loaded

I get the following on songs that have extended (accented) characters in the file names/directory names:

Sep 12, 2010 10:37:18 AM: WARNING: File/Volumes/music/France d’Amour/Le pr�sent/03 Pourrons-nous jamais �tre amis _.m4a is a symbolic link and has been ignored
Sep 12, 2010 10:37:19 AM: WARNING: File/Volumes/music/B�la Fleck/Perpetual Motion/B�la Fleck_16_Adagio sostenuto from Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 27, No. 2 Moonlight.mp3 is a symbolic link and has been ignored

The error message is deceiving of course. It’s not a symbolic link, but there are accented characters. I noticed today when I attempted to load about 1900 songs from a playlist to check and only 1850 actually loaded.

I have a LOT of songs that are like this, and quite honestly, even the iTunes store saves them this way (one of the above songs is one that was downloaded directly from the iTunes store, the other probably from eMusic or Amazon).

Any chance of getting this looked at for a future release?

Thanks.

Danita

I think they probably are symbolic links (or aliases) and the accents are just a coincidence, it maye that the file itself isnt a symbolic link but its parent is, can you check the parent folders for me, then rename the file to see if it really is the name that is the issue.

Definitely not symlinks - for example:

lrwxr-xr-x@ 1 danita danita 30 Aug 24 14:42 .gemini -> /Users/danita/Documents/gemini

Symlink

drwxrwxrwx 1 danita danita 16384 Aug 21 20:20 Bette Midler
drwxrwxrwx 1 danita danita 16384 Mar 13 2010 Better Than Ezra
drwxrwxrwx 1 danita danita 16384 Mar 31 12:20 B�la Fleck
drwxrwxrwx 1 danita danita 16384 Mar 13 2010 Big Head Todd & the Monster

Definitely just a directory.

I can try to rename it later when I get back from work. It would only be a “curiosity” for me to do so, because with a library of over 35000 items, I no doubt have thousands of these examples, either in folder names or file names, and it would be a real PITA to try to fix all of these.

Danita

I renamed the “B�la Fleck” directory to just “Bela Fleck” and renamed the file so it also did not have an accented character:

Sep 13, 2010 4:53:40 PM: INFO: Started to load files from /Volumes/music/Bela Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 13, 2010 4:53:42 PM: INFO: Counted 1 files that could be loaded from /Volumes/music/Bela Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 13, 2010 4:53:42 PM: INFO: Completed loading of 1 songs from /Volumes/music/Bela Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 13, 2010 4:53:43 PM: INFO: 1 files are loaded

So, without the accents, the file loaded just fine.

Thanks.

Danita

hmm, is this a networked drive ?

Does it work if you copy the accented namely file to local drive ?

It is a networked drive yes, but moving the files locally does the same thing:

Sep 14, 2010 7:09:53 AM: INFO: Started to load files from /Users/danita/temp/B�la Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 14, 2010 7:09:53 AM: WARNING: File/Users/danita/temp/B�la Fleck/Perpetual Motion/B�la Fleck_03_Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum from Children’s Corner.mp3 is a symbolic link and has been ignored
Sep 14, 2010 7:09:53 AM: INFO: Counted 1 files that could be loaded from /Users/danita/temp/B�la Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 14, 2010 7:09:53 AM: INFO: Completed loading of 0 songs from /Users/danita/temp/B�la Fleck/Perpetual Motion
Sep 14, 2010 7:09:54 AM: INFO: 0 files are loaded

Danita

Could you modify Jaikoz log settings as explained in help files to -l7 -m7 and just try and load this file, then send me the support files using Advanced/Create Support Files, then change the log levels back.

Sent - thanks!

Danita

I notice you were dragging and dropping the files onto Jaikoz, does the problem occur if you use File/Open Files…

Update, I can reproduce this problem if dragged from iTunes, its okay if dragged from Finder.

I may be able to fix, but this is a consequence of a bug in iTunes drag and drop support which nessicates me using applescript to do a drop, which is also why draggng from iTunes is so slow.

Fixed in Dev expect a Beta 2 in a few days.

Fixed in Beta 2 now available

Thanks - I thought I had posted this here, but I can’t see my reply from earlier in the week. I do note that this is not a problem with playlists either, so I started creating playlists for some of the things I wanted to check with Jaikoz. We have over 32K tracks in our library (and it’s growing as we continue to digitize LPs), and I like to use Jaikoz to deal with subsets of things. So it was easier (albeit slow as you point out) to just drag-drop. But now that I see that the playlists will work well (and faster) I will probably switch to that.

I’m glad you found the problem though, because I’m likely not the only one who will ever try to take the lazy way through this!

Thanks.

Danita