SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Newbie - searching for a good music server software

Hallo

SongKong sounds like a great tool to work with?

I’m interested in enjoying my own music the best way possible…
Actually I believe in rich information - especially for classical music I think it’s vital to have informations like composers, conductors and about main solists available. Coming from iTunes I am now in the situation to decide which music server software to use as the new “home” for my audio files.
I understand SongKong is the best tool available to tag my audio files.

My question : which music server software do you recommend. Which solution offers the best integration with SongKong (and supports for example multiple entries for tags)?
It would be perfect, if you give an argument why you choose software “ABC” over “XYZ”.

My IT skills are somehow limited so please nothing to sophisticated.
My hardware: Synology NAS as storage
Clients should be available for MacOS / iOS / PadOS

If you have a decent workflow for Plex - please let me know, as I’m using Plex already for movie files.
I evaluated emby and Kodi a bit - but still have not mad up my mind.

Yours
Henning

Hi, the best fit is MinimServer simply because it’s the only music server that is fully configurable, it’s slightly out of date but we have a tutorial about using Minimserver with SongKong at http://blog.jthink.net/2017/03/introduction-to-upnp-av-for-streaming.html

It’s not cheap and it may require new hardware, but take a look at Roon. I invested in it a couple of years ago and it’s transformed my experience of browsing my music library and discovering new recordings. I haven’t looked back since!

Best wishes

Philip

Hi, Roon is expensive but does provide a nice (if inflexible) experience. And the good news is that using SongKong on your libraries before uploading will improve your Roon experience - Does SongKong help get more albums identified by Roon?

I do believe I have to start over thinking about how to stream music (and audiobooks) in the future.

I might have to invest into hardware and I might use my NAS only as source for my music (not as renderer / server).

Roon looks nice but it’s expensive and its no solution for audiobooks. So for now I would like to learn more about alternatives.

Question
a) Do you have a suggestion for a set-up? I would very much appreciate if you could explain which of my goals I could / couldn’t answer with your suggestion.

My goals
I will distinguish between Rock/Pop // classic // audiobooks.
a) Player / Controller with the function to give gack User-feedback on tracks (star-rating and / or tag):
must have // nice to have // nice to have

b) Function to change the metadata stored within the audio-files
nice to have // nice to have // nice

c) Ability to distinguish between different users (with different User-feedback on tracks)
nice // nice // nice

d) Function to get “deep information” on artists / performers, like next concerts, bios
nice to have // nice to have // nice

e) Function to being available outside LAN / remote access
must have // must have // must have

f) Function to handle multiple artists & performers
nice // nice to have // nice to have

g) supporting Airplay
nice to have // nice to have // nice to have

e) Availability of an iOS app to play and / or control
must have // must have // must have

This next question might sound simple - but I might have overlooked it all the time:
With unpd /dlna 7 open home is there any solution to give user-feedback to the server (into audio-file and / or server controlled database)? Is there an option to give back user-feedback on a track: adding a tag (like Partymusik) or a star-track-rating (like 4 star)?
In Roon you may use tags to personalize your music library. Plex uses stars. Emby offers (“hearts”). JRiver uses stars. DS Audio (Synology) uses stars. … But I might have overlooked other solutions.
==> Is there an unpd/dlna / openhome solutions that handles user feedback on tracks?

Thanks for your help!

So these are questions about MinimServer rather than SongKong, I see you have asked the same question on the MinimServer forum so I will provide a link to that for others https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=5703&page=2

I have the DS251j from Synology and use “Audio Station”. It works as it should and is free of charge. The interface is similar to iTunes and the operation is simple.
Audio Station