SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

MusicIp in the "Manual Correct Tags" window

Hello,

I have a strange result in the “Manual Correct Tags” window.

To explain this, i’ll take the following existing example:

• the track is “Inimical Chimera” from “After Forever”
  • the ID3 tags are:
    • The artist: “After Forever”
    • The album: “Ephemera”
    • The title: “Inimical Chimera”
    • The PUID (MusicIP Id): 9ca41756-bcb5-0eda-cc09-b6d489fe7194 (computed by Jaikoz)
  • all other ID3 tags are empty

The research on MB about the PUID gives “Inimical Chimera” on 3 different versions of the album “Prison of Desire”, but none from the album “Ephemera”:
http://musicbrainz.org/show/puid/?puid=9ca41756-bcb5-0eda-cc09-b6d489fe7194

According to MB, the album “Ephemera” has a track called “Inimical Chimera” but with a different PUID:
http://musicbrainz.org/show/puid/?puid=e800aee0-a991-e843-c05b-1934618548ab

You can see in the attached picture that the MusicIP is checked for all rows, including the album “Ephemera” which doesn’t have the same PUID as my track.

Why MusicIp is checked for “Ephemera”?

I think the cell should be checked only if the same PUID is found. If so, it will be evident that my track has the wrong Album tag: my track is not the one from the album “Ephemera” but the one from “Prison of Desire”.

I think this is a bug or… am i missing something about the meaning of this column?

Thanks for your help,
Pascal

[quote=Kroah]

Why MusicIp is checked for “Ephemera”?

I think the cell should be checked only if the same PUID is found. If so, it will be evident that my track has the wrong Album tag: my track is not the one from the album “Ephemera” but the one from “Prison of Desire”.

I think this is a bug or… am i missing something about the meaning of this column?[/quote]
I think you are right, the Puid column is ticked for Ephemera because it has a puid, (but not the same one as your track) but it would make more sense to only tick it if it matched.

However I wouldn’t say your track neccesarily has the wrong album tag. Exactly the same version of the track may be on both albums, but it has only been linked to one album so far.

Just because there is a different Puid attached to one album it doesnt mean the original song was different it could be a difference in your diigital encoding of the file.

This highlights a problem with automatic tagging, should Jaikoz select the album that matches based on Puid (Prison of Desire) or best metadata match (Ephemera). Jaikoz takes the match that gives the best metadata match.

Thank you, i understand better.

I think the problem could be split:

1. Initial naming: tracks have (almost) no tags filled
    The PUID is usefull in this case, and there should be a way to distinguish matching PUID

2. Keeping up to date tags: tags (metadata) should be used because (as you say) the PUID could be missing from the MB database, and the user wants the track which the PUID doesn’t match.

Because 1) is usually a manual task (using the “Manual Correct Tags” feature), the user needs to know if each row:

• matches the PUID
  • does have a PUID (but another one)
  • doesn’t have any PUID

The MuiscIP column could be a 3 states cell, for example using colors (green=exact match, yellow=another PUID, red=no PUID).

To tell you, almost all my CD-rips match the correct existing PUID from the correct album. And even if my PUID doesn’t match any, i need to be aware of this to update MB by using genpuid.

Do you think it could be an enhancement? If so, should i post it in the wish subforum?

By the way, the main view could used this 3 states information to have an overview of the matching PUID, this could make easier to find missing ones from MB and updating them.

Thank you,
Pascal

Well, no you should use ‘Update tags from Existing Musicbrainz Id’ to update an existing tag, and this is done by retrieving info based on the Musicbrainz Id

I wouldnt agree, the autocorrect tags from Musicbrainz (normally run within autocorrecter) works wells enough that thi sis what is normally used. The manual match is then used afterwards to fix the songs where Jaikoz was unable to find any mtach/ a match good enough to do an autocorrection.

I dont think many people would find this that useful, but I can see that some advanced users - I will consider it as an enhancement.

[quote=paultaylor][quote=Kroah]
2) Keeping up to date tags: tags (metadata) should be used because (as you say) the PUID could be missing from the MB database, and the user wants the track which the PUID doesn’t match.
[/quote]
Well, no you should use ‘Update tags from Existing Musicbrainz Id’ to update an existing tag, and this is done by retrieving info based on the Musicbrainz Id[/quote]
Ho yes, i forgot this because i didn’t used the Musicbrainz Id before (you know, freedb…).

Because 1) is usually a manual task (using the “Manual Correct Tags”
feature), the user needs to know if each row:
[/quote]
I wouldnt agree, the autocorrect tags from Musicbrainz (normally run within autocorrecter) works wells enough that thi sis what is normally used. The manual match is then used afterwards to fix the songs where Jaikoz was unable to find any mtach/ a match good enough to do an autocorrection.[/quote]
Autocorrect tags is usefull if there are already some tags filled, but when i rip a CD, everything is empty, and before filling album, title, … i would want Jaikoz uses the PUID to mach Musicbrainz DB.
And i don’t use autocorrect tags to my existing tracks because when i used freedb, i’ve done some mistakes like choosing the wrong album. I don’t want Jaikoz do the same mistake because he uses existing (wrong) tags. So the only information i have are the # of tracks, the PUID and my guess.

I know some PUID maybe shared between albums, but those are not all the case. That’s why i use so much the Manual Correct Tags. And after having correctly updated my tags, i’ll use the Update from Musicbrainz Id.

• matches the PUID
  • does have a PUID (but another one)
  • doesn’t have any PUID

The MuiscIP column could be a 3 states cell, for example using colors (green=exact match, yellow=another PUID, red=no PUID).
[/quote]
I dont think many people would find this that useful, but I can see that some advanced users - I will consider it as an enhancement.
[/quote]
Ho ok. I think i’m part of a small percent people having 80% of bad/wrong/empty/missing tags…

Thank you for your explanations,
Pascal

[quote=Kroah]Autocorrect tags is usefull if there are already some tags filled, but when i rip a CD, everything is empty, and before filling album, title, … i would want Jaikoz uses the PUID to mach Musicbrainz DB.
And i don’t use autocorrect tags to my existing tracks because when i used freedb, i’ve done some mistakes like choosing the wrong album. I don’t want Jaikoz do the same mistake because he uses existing (wrong) tags. So the only information i have are the # of tracks, the PUID and my guess.
[/quote]
A simpler solution would be first of to remove all the (bad) metadata by selecting the fields, and then selecting Action/Delete.

Then when you run Autocorrecter it will retrieve the Puid (if it exists), and then only the Puid will be used to autocorrect from Musicbrainz (because there is no metadata it can use), I think this would solve you some time.

Yo can then use Manual Tag as required.