SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

more info on memory alltotment

I have a Win 7 Ult 64 bit machine with 12 Gb RAM. I am fairly comfortable tech wise, but I don’t have Java knowledge - although I’m game to try. I have had a few out of memory warnings when cleaning up too many files on my old computer and just got this new computer mainly to help clean up a big collection of music (>100k files, mostly MP3, 5-10% M4A). I read the instructions at http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/help/linux/ch02s03.html)

attached below

are there more specific instructions on how to make the changes? Is there a specific folder where I would find the parameters I need to change. I would probably prefer to change things so I can continue to use Jaikoz.exe - but, if it’s easier or better to change things so I need to start Jaikoz.sh - I will - but if so, can you explain how to start Jaikoz using the .sh?

(Warning this section is for experienced users of Java only

By default Jaikoz allows upto 800MB to be used for storing the information about your loaded files, this is additional to about 100MB that is required to run Jaikoz. If you are attempting to load many songs (more than 10,000) you may get a warning that memory is low, if your computer has sufficient memory you can increase the maximum value of memory than can be used you will be able to load larger amount of files if you require it. You should not set the memory to the actual amount that your system has because your computer requires some memory to run the operating system and other programs, additionally trying to load too many files may place too high a CPU load on your computer and could severely effect performance.

Jaikoz is usually run using Jaikoz.exe, but you can also run it using Jaikoz.sh, memory is adjusted differently depending on which file you use.

3.5.1. Jaikoz.sh

Within the Jaikoz.sh file , the parameters-Xms150m -Xmx800m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m sets the memory in megabytes. Increase the value of Xmx to the value you require, increase MaxPermSize by the same propertion i.e. to double total memory usage to 2GB set it to -Xms150m -Xmx1600m -XX:MaxPermSize=400m, adjust this value and run Jaikoz.sh for it to take effect)

Hi, well it should be jaikoz,.bat not jaikoz.sh for Windows, see http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/help/windows/help.html#d0e441

The easiest thing to do is edit Jaikoz.bat, then run Jaikoz.bat rather than Jaikoz.exe. When you start Jaikoz and take a look at the Jaikoz console window you can see how much memory has been allocated on the second line, so you can check you have done it right.

I editted and saved jaikoz.bat - I replaced the 800 value with 1600, then saved.

I restarted Jaikoz - I don’t see the “second line” you refer to that is supposed to show me whether or not my changes were successful.

Make sure you have View/Show Details Pane enabled, and the Console tab selected.

Its actually the first line in the console, should be something like

Jun 24, 2012 7:56:09 PM: INFO: Jaikoz has been configured with minimum heap memory of 150 mb, maximum heap memory of 795 mb and maximum permanent memory of 216 mb