SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Menu not available on MacOS High Sierra

I am on the latest beta of MacOS High Sierra. Jaikoz menu is not available there, rest of the application works.

Okay thats unfortunate. I don’t have High - Sierra yet but I did read something about potential problem for most Java apps - see http://help.infinitekind.com/discussions/problems/35345-md-loses-menu-bar-in-high-sierra-beta

I will try and find out when there will be a fix for this.

Not a real issue, I understand I am the one using beta software. However just posted it, in case there were some major changes in the way MacOS would handle java apps.

As far as the suggested workaround on the site you linked to: I will not try that, since that java version is just too old and has too many issues. Thanks anyway for pointing out the more general problem here.

[quote=triptol]Not a real issue, I understand I am the one using beta software. However just posted it, in case there were some major changes in the way MacOS would handle java apps.

As far as the suggested workaround on the site you linked to: I will not try that, since that java version is just too old and has too many issues. Thanks anyway for pointing out the more general problem here.[/quote]

Thankyou very much for letting me know.

You are quite right Jaikoz will no longer work with Java 6, I was just trying to show the issue was not a problem caused by a Jaikoz, its is a widespread Java problem caused by Apple.

High Sierra is out and the issue persists with both Jaikoz & SongKong. What is the plan?

Hi, I cannot find a definitive reference but I think Apple fixed this in the final version of High Sierra, are you on a pre-release if so please update to the official version of High Sierra and check.

I have just upgraded my mac to High Sierra today and SongKong and Jaikoz continue to work okay and show the menubar. But it is possible that It continues to work because of having something previously installed so would be helpful to get some feedback form some customers.

I am having the final macOS High Sierra installed, never used any Beta. I used SongKong for Melco 4.11 and updated today to 4.12. It doesn’t show any menubar. The same with Jaikoz (latest version).

That is confusing as others report things working okay but please try installing Java for OS X 2015-001 at https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=en_US

This installs Java 6 (that we dont need) but also the JavaVM.framework that we do.

This was the first thing that macOS High Sierra was asking to install:

java -version
java version "1.7.0_51"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_51-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.51-b03, mixed mode)

What did you do in the end because I have now found the issue to be if your Mac Preferred Language is not configured to English

I changed Apple/Preferences/Language & Region/Preferred Language to German and reboot to replicate the issue

I then changed Apple/Preferences/Language & Region/Preferred Language to English and reboot and that fixed the issue, but I realize that is not a viable solution.

Paul

That?s an interesting finding Paul. I rebooted into an English environment and found the menu bar where it should be. Interestingly enough in German :shock:

I can modify my tags for the time being. Thanks for your workaround.

Its in German because SongKong language configuration is independent of Apples language selection (apart from when using standard Apple gui widgets such as Open Folder dialog) and is set in SongKong:Preferences:Language

In your other forum post it sounded like you had already fixed the problem, can yo please clarify for benefit of others.

The issue around ID3v2.22 vs. IDv24 or ID3v24 is fixed. I am saving all files that throw out error messages in Minimserver log again by using IDv24 and the messages are gone.

Is menu bar issue is not fixed.

Ah, you meant ID3 problem not IDE problem.

Yes that was a typo. Apologize.

Okay it seems that Apple have only fixed the original issue found in Beta when using English based system, bad testing on their part. Hopefully they will resolve soon but in the meantime I have a better workaround

First go back to German language and reboot

In Finder Right-click on SongKong in Applications and select Show Package Contents
Select Contents
Open Info.plist for editing
Find the line that says and change the line below it from to
Save the changes

Now start SongKong, this should resolve the issue, the negative side effect meaning that things like folder dialogs used by SongKong will show as English when they should be in German

This fix will also work for Jaikoz.

I will probably release a new version of Songkong and Jaikoz with this fixed.

Great fix!! Thanks a lot Paul.

Great, posted to blog http://blog.jthink.net/2017/09/fix-for-osx-high-sierra-breaking.html