SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

MB Artist tag using release tag

I have setup jaikoz to use the MB Artist Tag for Genres in the preferences. I noticed that if I update a compilation album, that has different songs all from different artists, that jaikoz will use the same genre tag for all 20 songs.

For example, if I tag a sound track with 20 that has the album artist as various artist and different artists in all of the Artists fields, jaikoz will set the Genre field to Electronic for every single song on that sound track. It doesn’t appear to be getting the MB Artist tag for each song’s artist.

Any ideas as to why it is not updating each song?

No, so its set to only use Artist tag, and you are only matching from MusicBrainz not Discogs, right ?

Yes, I am only using musicbrainz. No discogs lookups. In the preferences under the Musicbrainz tab and the Format 2 tab, I have both Genre and Grouping set to Always replace values in the first column, and in the second column they are both set to MB Artist Tag.

Another thing I noticed is that all the genres are not showing up in the Genre box in the Column Browser. It appears that only the visible genre, or top genre, of tags that have multiple genres are being displayed. ie, if I only load 1 song and it has 3 genres, say rock, pop, and country, only the first visible one will show up in the column browser. In this case rock.

The other thing I find interesting is that the genre fields are not getting updated at all unless i delete the old info out of the genre fields, even though I have it set to always replace values in the preferences.

Sorry, no answer yet but I’ve raised http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-806 to track issues.

Oops firstly, it is using recording genre not artist genre. Secondly at some point I took some code out of Jaikoz and made a MusicBrainz library that was used by SongKong, made some further chnages to it then at a later date I refactored Jaikoz to use the same library to reduce my codebase. But unfortunately the new library now had support in the code for getting tags for ReleaseGroups, but my Jaikoz code does not, leading to an incompatibility.

Working on it now.

Fixed in Jaikoz 6.0.6 released today

I tried 6.0.6 today. It did more than it did before, but appears to still not be fully working.

Only 2 of the 14 songs got their genres updated. The rest were not changed even though they had incorrect info already in there previously. If I deleted everything from the genre fields, those same 2 were updated, and the rest were then at least updated with what I am guessing might of been the release genre or something. The other 12 all being updated to “Electronic”.

I noticed that while not all had tags in the musicbrainz api, at least half the ones that did were still not being added. I checked using the, http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/artist/?query=artist:ARTIST

Any thoughts?

Hi, it works okay with my original test case but just tried another album and it does not appear to be working have reopened issue and will investigate.

Fixed for Jaikoz 6.0.8 - the problem is that if artist has any tags in the genre blacklist then no tags are used rather than just excluding the blacklisted tags

Thanks, I was originally hoping to use musicbrainz to clean up the genre tags. However I noticed they are not using a set of standardized genres, styles, or tags, or even a set of pre approved tags. This is causing the same issue that last.fm has where anyone can tag music with anything and as such, there are a lot of wrong as well as even some unappropriated tags. :frowning:

I have written a set of genre/style guidelines over the last few years, that consists of about 3000 possible tags as well as aliases to fix alternative spellings and misspellings. I just need to figure out how to use it with a tagger. Hoping for a whitelist/greylist in jaikoz to just type them all in, or maybe some ugly perl script that uses getid3 or something.