SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Manual Correct Tags from MusicBrainz

When I use the option to manually select the MusicBrainz UID for a given track, I am often surprised that I do not see the track listed even though I have specifically pre-populated the MusicBrainz Release Id field. It seems that when doing a query from the MB database, having a match on the Release Id and a matching name on the track name would almost automatically give the entry a pretty high score and show it in my list. But it doesn’t.

Is this working as designed? Can you give us an idea as to how the MB queries are done (what is queried, what order) and then how those queries are scored?

In the long run, I think it would be great if we could customize that process. In the long run…

thanks

[quote=Focher]When I use the option to manually select the MusicBrainz UID for a given track, I am often surprised that I do not see the track listed even though I have specifically pre-populated the MusicBrainz Release Id field.
[/quote]

What your doing is actually rather unusual, if you are going to the trouble of doing a manual musicbrainz lookup in order to prefill a field for Jaikoz to use why don’t you put in the Musicbrainz Unique Id rather than the release Id, and then call ‘Update Tags from Existing MusicBrainz Id’ to populate the other fields.

Or are you doing this in order to coerce Jaikoz into using original albums instead of compilation album, even though the record may have been ripped from a compilation album ? In which case enter the correct album name in the album field should give simialr results.

Manual match from MusicBrainz doesnt use the ids, because they may be wrong, the customer maybe doing a lookup because a previous lookup has given results that they are not happy with. So the match only uses metadata that is fully understood such as artist or album

I do sometimes have to do this but it is really a rather cumbersome process. Usually, the need only comes up when I have Jaikoz do an autocorrect tags from MB after the acoustic id has been updated. This often causes a mixture of tracks from different album entries in the MB database.

The way I typically fix it is to bring up the Album on MB and manually copy the MB Unique Id to the track as you recommend.

Again, it would be nice if there was a faster way to do this. Perhaps displaying the MB Album Id in the window when using the Manual select method from MB. In fact, it could be better to display each track independently for the user input to select which one to use. Then you would have a lot more screen space to display all the information that is both also in the tags plus the MB data that the user might want to use to select the best entry. Once the MB entry is selected, just display the next track’s info.

[quote=Focher]I do sometimes have to do this but it is really a rather cumbersome process. Usually, the need only comes up when I have Jaikoz do an autocorrect tags from MB after the acoustic id has been updated. This often causes a mixture of tracks from different album entries in the MB database.

The way I typically fix it is to bring up the Album on MB and manually copy the MB Unique Id to the track as you recommend.

Again, it would be nice if there was a faster way to do this. Perhaps displaying the MB Album Id in the window when using the Manual select method from MB. In fact, it could be better to display each track independently for the user input to select which one to use. Then you would have a lot more screen space to display all the information that is both also in the tags plus the MB data that the user might want to use to select the best entry. Once the MB entry is selected, just display the next track’s info.

[/quote]

You’ve lost me:are you pasting the unique track id, or the album id. I was recommending EITHER you paste the unique id or if it is just the album that is incorrect you could easily paste the ‘album name’ into all the incorrect tracks, and this would be used by a subsequent call to ‘Tag from Musicbrainz’.

Could do a screen mockup of your idea, I can’t visualise it.

I am pasting the MB UID from the MB entry with the same MB Album Release ID (sometimes there are duplicate album entries with different MB UIDs for the tracks).

The problem with this method is that it is very cumbersome because the MB website makes you drill down to each individual track to get the UID to copy and paste. So if you have multiple tracks with the “wrong” UID that doesn’t match for that particular album ID, you have to navigate through quite a few screens plus the swapping back and forth between the browser and Jaikoz.

I will definitely do a screen mockup of my idea and put it here.

thanks

Here is my initial idea.

I would also prefer something like this over the current view.
This would also make it possible to start the manual correct when you go to work in the morning and check the results in the evening when you get back. Instead of stopping every X potential matches.
It would also be less “confusing” to look at imho.

So this is a replacement for the ‘manual tag from MusicBrainz screen’ . The top half shows three records with the current row on the lefthandside, I assume the idea is that you can see what values you selected for the previous value to help select the correct value for this record. The Bottom half of the screen shows the possible matches from MusicBrainz.

What I like about this is it provides more information about the currently selected track, I think I do need a way to show the internal ids. Maybe as an option for power users, as I dont think it would be useful to caual users.

What I don’t like is it forces you to process the records sequentially, you cant quickly go to the first,last or any record inbetween, this would be a big drawback.

RE:Erwins point
I Allow you to batch upto 500 records before you have to interact with them, you would prefer that there be no upper limit. But the trouble is that the longer the list becomes the more memory is used, and this could cause problems within the application.

My ultimate goal would be to get access to the internal IDs, especially from other track records on the same album, in a more comprehensive way on the screen to help better select the right MB ID for the track.

I’m not so sure I agree that casual users wouldn’t also benefit from this. While I cannot obviously speak for anyone but myself, the main reason I bet most people select Jaikoz over other tagging software is the thorough MusicIP and MusicBrainz integration. So being sure to match the IDs properly would be of use for many users, I think.

Regardless, I would see it as an improved replacement for the Manual Tag from MB function. It has all the same information (adding the additional columns like track #, length, etc is easy enough with that layout) plus the benefit of better album ID matching.

I also think this interface could be an improvement for usability in regards to the batch queries. It becomes less important to do large batches if you basically have a queue of 20 or 30 queries in memory and the program queries ahead of the user’s involvement with selecting tracks.

I’ll take another look at this in the future.

There is an outstanding enhancement that ‘Manual Tags from MusicBrainz’ should match the next batch in the background whilst you are reviewing the last batch, but can’t see how this is affected by the screen redesign.