SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

(LISTS) allmusic comments, genres, styles, moods & themes

I don’t know how useful this will be to other users, but it feels like too much work not to share it.

I’ve been tagging with a lot of the tags from allmusic.com. I find their genre/style hierarchy to be quite accurate, and I really like their reviews and moods/occasions. I’ve been doing this manually which is a real PITA, but hopefully my pain is your gain.

I’ve been using genres/styles like this: The main genre (Pop/Rock, R&B, Jazz, etc) is always the first one. All of the styles follow that. When looking at these with Winamp, iPhone, whatever, only the main genre shows up, but searching by genre will look at everything and return the other styles. Hopefully this does not backfire in the long run. :shock: Moods are moods, and themes are occasions.

* I was feeling confident that these were quite accurate, but going through them again and I see quite a few mistakes. I don’t know if many, if anyone at all, will use these, but I’ll keep updating them if there’s demand. If you want to fix/add items, PM me your gmail/iGoogle ID and I’ll add you for editing

** I file with the first letter of the first name (ie, “Toby Keith” is under T), however, I don’t use “the” at the beginning of artists (ie, “The Germs” is just “Germs”). Artist, Album Artist, and Sort Artist may mix these up, but how I file them is how they show up in the list.

Google Docs:
# (includes (hed) P.E.)
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
Working on K…

• This is now fixed in Jaikoz 4.5.0

I think it would be more useful if you also showed the musicbrainz release id.

Have you submitted your genres to Musicbrainz from within Jaikoz using Remote Correct/Submit Genres

@dkoh,
please submitted your genres to Musicbrainz, so your work never get lost.
(at least as long as Musicbrainz exists)

Thx Paul.

Yeah, I guess I can up tags to MB since I’ll be making new lists… see how MB takes long lists of comma delimited values.

I’ll throw the ID’s in there too.

Updated #-B and added C.

Added D

Cool, thanks for the list. Ill have to download them and check it out. I have my music sorted the same way. So much easier to sort by first name, especially when there are bands that use band names that appear as a persons name.

Just added the Es. I’m submitting as many genres to MB as I can but I’m having a real problem with timeouts. Sometimes I can do 600, others I can not do 20, so I do what I can.

Fs are up. :shock:

Added Gs.

Added H

[quote=dkoh]
I’ve been using genres/styles like this: The main genre (Pop/Rock, R&B, Jazz, etc) is always the first one. All of the styles follow that. When looking at these with Winamp, iPhone, whatever, only the main genre shows up, but searching by genre will look at everything and return the other styles. Hopefully this does not backfire in the long run. :shock: Moods are moods, and themes are occasions.[/quote]

Question,

if I understand correctly you have more than one genre listed in the genre tag in such a way that on what sounds like most media players, only the first one will show (the main genre), but when doing a genre search all the others will also be searched on?

what separator are you using?

I’ve been trying to tackle this issue as well. I also have found that Allmusic is the only consistently good source for the genre/sub-genre info.

It’s looking like I will have to do the same as you and manually enter the data, so I’m wondering what exactly your work process is?

thanks!

It’s a pretty arduous task, but once you get a rhythm it picks up.

I’m using the regular dialog in Jaikoz for genre (double-click the little number) and using an Excel function to concatenate the moods and occasions in one comma-delimited string for each (see my post @ bottom of http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/4506.page).

So my workflow is:

• copy/paste album review
  • open genre dialog and copy/paste copy/paste copy/paste each genre starting with the main one (Pop/Rock, Country, R&B, etc)
  • copy/paste the entire Mood column and paste it into the csvRange and adjust the range to what you just pasted
  • copy/paste the entire Themes column, same as above
  • copy both csvRange cells and paste into Mood and Occasion fields in Jaikoz.

^And this is the reason I am posting all of these. Hopefully it will be easier for you to copy from my XLSs than all the searching and back-and-forth with allmusic.

Playing with the wife’s iPhone and a couple other PC apps, these sub-genres do come up in searches, it just looks a bit corny when most files are all labeled “Pop/Rock”. Although, I have come across an issue with standard ID3 genre labels, see http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/6641.page.

Also, I don’t think I’ve ever imported anything from an XLS/CSV file successfully. Maybe I’m using it wrong or maybe I misunderstand it completely. Maybe Paul can chime in. It sure would be nice if you could just import an entire letter and have all the matching stuff filled in.

Hope this helps. I’ve got the Js in the hopper and I was just about to ask if anyone was using these. :shock:

Ah, I think I get it now. According to Help, import matches by filenames. I remove this column when I upload these lists, and even if I kept them, others would have to have the exact same names. It contains the entire path, including drive letter, but I don’t know how strict it is.

Would be nice if it matched by MBReleaseGroupID.

importing would add the genre field directly?

thanks!