SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Leave file creation date as-is

I recently started using Jaikoz, although I bought a license years ago.

One of the things that I ran into was the fact that (on macOS at least), Jaikoz changes not just the modification date, but also the creation date for every file it has edited. I discovered this after updating a couple hundred songs.

My wish is that it wouldn’t do this.

Reason for this wish is mostly the “emotional value” assigned with the date. My music collection started in the '90s somewhere around 1997, and I have fond memories of the moments I got some of the tracks in my collection. The way it works now, the references to those dates are removed and there is no place where it is saved for later.

Removing the original creation dates also stops me from doing any statistics on that, while I did have in mind to see in what way my collection had grown since the start, after updating everything.

From a sysadmin perspective, modifying a creation date seems weird if there is a changed date available.

I would also be okay with an extra field which holds the creation date from before it was replaced.

If anyone else is planning to use Jaikoz on macOS and wants to save the dates of your current files, you can do that by using this command in the terminal. Go to your folder that holds your music first, then:

It will produce a list with human readable dates in your homedir, which you can then reference later. Of course it will have the original filenames before any modification by Jaikoz, but at least you’ll have something to refer to.

If you plan to save the list, then update metadata with Jaikoz, and then maybe put back the creation date to the original date, you may want the timestamps to be in unix timestamp format with this command:

Note that this may interfere with Jaikoz operations. Don’t do it with Jaikoz running, and use with care. Make sure you always have a backup.

Jaikoz X seems to have some other features that are on my wish list. So I hope that’s coming soon.

Hi, this issue is format specific.

It occurs because for some formats Jaikoz actually has to create a new file and delete the original file rather than just edit the original file, it is not by design.

It doesn’t do this for Aif, Dsf, Wav and Flac

it does do this for Mp4 and Mp3, but not always.