SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

LastFM Genres

Any chance we can get a “Fix Genres from LastFM” type of genre corrector. This along with a whitelist, as opposed to the existing blacklist, would allow me to tag using genres from LastFM but only ever using tags in the whitelist. I saw this method being used elsewhere and thought it would be nice to have in Jaikoz.

Certainly the whitelist is coming, but can you explain to me what Last.fm gives that Discogs genres/styles does not.

The main problem is that to access Last.fm I have to make more api calls that will slow things down a bit, and Im adding another 3rd party into the mix

[quote=paultaylor]Certainly the whitelist is coming, but can you explain to me what Last.fm gives that Discogs genres/styles does not.

The main problem is that to access Last.fm I have to make more api calls that will slow things down a bit, and Im adding another 3rd party into the mix[/quote]

Good point, it’s just that it seems that it’s the standard for genres these days and a lot of other taggers/players use it. Probably because the genres are just tags that are submitted by users and are ranked by popularity so the tag you’ll get is the one that is the most popular and therefore most likely to already be the correct genre.

I can probably get by with discogs too, it probably won’t matter so much as long as I have a whitelist and at least one of the genres in my whitelist is also in the discogs genre field. I’d get the same result.