SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Jaikoz wont start : missing security files ... Jaikoz\\settings.jai

Hi, just downloaded and installed Jaikoz. I get the above message and the program won’t start.
Reinstalled Java as suggested in this old post, but still no luck…
This doesn’t seem to be a very common issue as google search yields very little result (apart from above link)
Does anybody have a clue ?

Cheers
P.

No, its not a known error because if you are missing a settings.jai file it should just copy it over from the installation folder, what OS are you using ?

Sorry, should’ve said:

XP Professional SP 3
Java 6 v 19

tried reinstalling a number of times, no joy.
tried using jaikoz.bat, but no log comes out, just the error message.

Rgds

Hmm, did you install and run as the same user ?
Can you send me a screenshot of when you ran from Dos ?

Sure thing, i’ve attached it to this post, along with a dir of the docs and settings directory where settings.jai is indeed present

Since i’m the only user of my laptop, yes, i’ve installed and run as the same user, with full admin privileges…

Looking at the code you can get this error if Jaikoz is unable to read the settings.jai file as well as if it doesn’t exist. Could you just try deleting settings.jai from your C:\Documents and Settings\paul\Jaikoz and see if that works

Doesn’t work.
Deleted settings.jai
Started the app:

• the file is “recreated”
  • the error message appears again.

Do you get anything more in the DOS window, such as

‘Copying over preferences…’

I’ve just tried it myself using Java 1.6.0_19-b04 no problem, I assume this is the actual version you are using

Java -version

Yes, that is the java version i’m using.

In the window, i get
copying over preferences from … to …
(the program files version of settings.jai to my user directory)

then

debuglogfile isC:\Documents and Settings\paul/Jaikoz/Logs/jaikozdebug%u-%g.log

and the error message appears.
When i acknowledge the error, the prompt reappears in the command window, and the LOG file is not created.

Notice something curious: the path of the debuglogfile starts out with forward slashes and ends with back slashes. Is that normal ?

Yes, that is normal.
Well I may have to create a version of Jaikoz with more debugging to try and track down why you are getting this issue, but that might be a couple of days.

Thanks for the help. Just let me know when you need any feedback. In the meantime, I’ll try a full uninstall / reinstall using revo when I have a bit more time, see if that solves any issues.

Cheers and thanks for the help.

This is happening to me, also. This is the first time I’ve run Jaikoz since a Malwarebytes scan. I’m running Revo to uninstall & reinstall to see if that solves the issue. Did you ever find a solution?

Please try deleting your local settings.jai file as explained in Issue 4 at http://www.jaikoz.com/jaikozforum/posts/list/1246.page

Thank you!

I’ve unninstalled, reinstalled, deleted the settings.jai file, and am still receiving error.

Jenny, please restate exactly what error you are getting.

Missing Security Files C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx\Jaikoz\settings.jai

And I have tried this, as well as (most recently) using CrapCleaner to run after the uninstall of Jaikoz to try and clear out any registry issues from Jaikoz, rebooting, reinstalling.

I’m about to uninstall/install Java to see if that makes a difference…

FWIW, that seems to have done the trick. Strange, no?

Yeah, good its fixed.

Its quite difficult for me to wotk out the underlying cause for these kind of problems, there is normally some anomly on the machine that me and the user are both unaware of.