SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Jaikoz on Windows 7 may be faster using Windows XP Compatability Mode

Some users have reported Jaikoz running very slow on Windows 7, but then by simply running Jaikoz is Windows XP compabiility mode its runs much faster.

Right Cick on Jaikoz icon
Select Properties on popup menu
Select comptability tab
Click on Run a program in comptability mode and select from list

Now at this stage I don’t understand why this would be, but if you are having a problem it is worth giving it a try.

This post implies it may be a 32/64 bit issue or a networking/firewall issue, offering us a few clues to investigate

http://www.daniweb.com/hardware-and-software/microsoft-windows/windows-vista-and-windows-7-8/threads/271699/java-slow-on-windows7

If anyone had any ideas on this, please let me know.

Any benchmark how can i check speedup ?

Its more a case if Jaikoz seems to be freezing up and doing nothing after a while then could be a solution.

The one thing that’s slow with Jaikoz here, is startup. It takes 7-8s for the main screen to appear, otherwise it’s quite fast in all actions. (Windows 7 64bit, SSD and enough RAM)

Thats a different problem.

And the main problem is the way i have implemented user preferences, changing that will speed up startup dramatically ( which I plan to do)

As Paul knows, I am one of the people that has reported this difference. To be clear, I noticed this when running Musicbrainz Picard. For my Windows 7 64-bit computer it was an unbelievabel difference in performance. So much so that it made me wonder if I have an issue that’s uniqie to my own computer. However recently I upgraded my “guts” of my computer from an AMD 3 year old environment to an Intel Ivy Bridge setup and noticed the same improvement.

It seems to be a difference in performance of the database lookups. I will switch back to using musicbrainz.org and do some more testing.

Paul, I apologize for not sending the data your way. I forgot but will start on it now.

Paul S.

Whether or not this speeds up Picard is irrelevant to Jaikoz, but although me and dbaps have our wires crossed, another user reported an improvement with Jaikoz, but I remain unconvinced.

I am unable to see any difference between a winxp and win7 both on the same system and with 32 bit versions.

Of course if I run it on my faster system that has win7 64bit with more memory it is much faster. Especially after I change the batch file to allow more utilization of the the increased memory. Vista on the other hand might be more legit as it was a much slower OS in general. Not one of MS better releases.

If anyone having this problem what would be useful is if you could get a stack trace of the system when it slows down so we can see what is happening using jstack whihc should be installe don your system as part of Java

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/share/jstack.html