SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Jaikoz 4.3.0 NGS Submit New Release not matching tracks to existing recording

I added a new release to MusicBrainz. The first song of the CD Frankie & Johnny - Picadilly Rose, playing time 2:17 was not matched with the one which was earlier registered in MusicBrainz with exactly the same name and a play time of 2:16.
Another example Marvin Paul - None of Your Business, playtime 2:06 was not matched with Marvin Paul - None of Your Business, playtime 2:11

an there are more songs not matching

Did some songs match ?
Could you send the addreleasexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.html file in your user Jaikoz folder to me ?

on it’s way

Ive made a number of improvements for Submit New Release including fixing this issue in Jaikoz 4.3.1 just released.

I seems, that the number of improvements are not enough.
Here I have an example from a compilation CD with the song \tThey Play It Wild - The Saharas, playlength:1:32. In MusicBrainz is the same song (exact the same title and artist) with a playlength of 1:39, but it wasn’t matched automatically. So I had to do it manually.

That is by design, a song with length of 1:32 versus a song of 1:39 is a difference of 7 seconds, that is more likely than not to be a different version of the same song and hence a different recording.

It is better to err on the side of caution and create two different recordings even if they may be the name recording then to create one recording when they may in fact be two variations. So Jaikoz will only automatically match to recordings that have a duration within two seconds of your recording.

I think that’s to stringent. Make it +/- 5 sec.

I have the same problem. Err, similar problem, with Matching not Submitting. Mainly because it looks like jaikoz is now taking into affect the song duration. Unfortunately the song durations in musicbrainz are often incorrect. This stems from users submitting the albums through picard. I submitted a few new albums from a buddy of mine and half of the song durations were wrong, some up to a whole minute! Yet if i listened to the song in any player to verify, as well as go off of the durations that were listed on the album sleeve itself, they were correct. Completely different to what picard forced me to put in as the album durations that it some how calculated. I then had to go back in after and submit requests to change all the song durations to what the actual CD was, not from what picard thought they were from the cd it read.

I find discogs is usually fairly correct. Typically give or take a few seconds on most albums so I don’t mind it trying to match to a duration. Unfortunately with musicbrainz I find its off on about 20% of the albums, at least on 1 or 2 songs, just enough to make jaikoz not match the album. I then have to manually tell it to use the release and then to ignore the difference in song durations as I had to manually verify online with another source, or off the album itself, that they are correct. Is there an option to have jaikoz skip over this? I am not sure if this is a new feature, as I have never had jaikoz not find so many matches that had albums listed in musicbrainz before this last release.

I think that’s to stringent. Make it +/- 5 sec.

[/quote]
Possibly, I did consider changing it to +/- 4 sec but think worth discussing with the Musicbrainz community.

[quote=greengeek]II submitted a few new albums from a buddy of mine and half of the song durations were wrong, some up to a whole minute! Yet if i listened to the song in any player to verify, as well as go off of the durations that were listed on the album sleeve itself, they were correct.
[/quote]
Im interested to know if this was done by submitting an actual cd via Picard or digitised music files and can you give me an the Musicbrainz edit reference. Because if it was done from a CD this really should be correct and if it is not sounds like a bug in Picard that they would be interested in.

Yeah to reiterate I’m very surpised about this and could do with some examples.

Yes i did add this in, but it was an accidental omission beforehand. In general I dont think it is a good idea to skip this check when you dont specify a release because it protects you from matching the wrong release, but of course if Musicbrainz is getting it wrong then there is a problem.

These were all from using the cd look up in picard.

Sorry, looks like I was mistaken. I put a group of CDs from the artist I believe I used last time in windows media player and compared them to what I had submitted in musicbrainz and they were all either exactly on, or within 2 to 3 seconds. Looking at song durations on some of the CD sleeves themselves, the artist had listed some of the song durations incorrectly, some as much as 1 minute.

The other ones that did fail were mp3s. I will need to listen to them to verify the whole song plays, then look them up on a few other sources to verify if they are correct or incorrect.

I would agree there should be at least a 4 or 5 second leeway before jaikoz dismisses the song as incorrect duration. Digital, cassette, and vinyl rips can be a few seconds different depending on where the software figures in the song start and cut off times when it sees the silence between tracks.

[quote]I would agree there should be at least a 4 or 5 second leeway before jaikoz dismisses the song as incorrect duration. Digital, cassette, and vinyl rips can be a few seconds different depending on where the software figures in the song start and cut off times when it sees the silence between tracks.
[/quote]
That’s exactly my experience

Im happy to increase to 4 second leeway in next release, any more than that is not safe.

@Paul,
it seems to me, that matching songs works only for ±1 second in Jaikoz 4.5.0. Please recheck it.

Ah, Ive found a bug but its slightly different to what you say so could you check your sypnosis before I issue a fix

Within 4.5.0 it will only match to songs if there is a 3 or 4 second disparity in the track length. If the disparity is only between 0 and 2 they will not be matched.

Ok, Ive uploaded a new version of 4.5.0 for Windows and Linux that should fix this problem, please confirm and I will upload the OSX version a bit later (OSX version is slightly more complex to build). You can tell if you have the fix by going to the About/Jaikoz and checking the Build date is set to 04/11/2011, original version has date set to 02/11/2011.

That was it :smiley:

Matching O.K.

Thank you Paul

Thanks, Mac version now uploaded.