SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Help with duplicates

After a NAS disk fail I had it recovered and it was in a complete mess - multiple versions of lots of tracks, missing file names etc.

SongKong has done a great job of taming it and Delete Duplicates has gotten rid of a lot of the unnecessary files. However, it’s still leaving lots of versions of the same track …usually there is one good complete version, and several duds _ they start ok but cut off and are incomplete. This problem is especially prevalent in DJ mixes.

What’s the best way to weed out the incomplete tracks and keep the correct versions? I’m having to do it manually at the moment which is very slow progress.

Apologies if this is obvious – I’m new here :slight_smile:

If its not finding the duplicates perhaps you need to change what is selected for Song is a Duplicate If has same, have you ran Fix Songs first because most options require MusicBrainz/Acoustids to be present (and this would be added by Fix Songs)

Now, assuming it is finding the duplicates how do you make sure it deletes the correct one?

In your case I would trying moving Track Length above Bitrate on the Advanced tab. So then if same Audio Format it would prefer to keep the longest track which should be the right one.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Turns out I already had Track Length as the highest item on the Preferred Deletion Criteria, and yes have already ran Fix Songs …not sure what else to do so I have it scanning again for Duplicates in the hope something went wrong last time?!?

Not really sure what else to do.

it’s found approx 8000 duplicates, which is odd as this is the 2nd time I’ve run it (and haven’t added any new music to my collection). What’s stranger is that looking through Apple Music there are a still loads of duplicates showing up under Songs.

And from a very quick scan of the items now in my trash I’ve found tracks deleted that don’t have a duplicate in Music i.e. I’d be deleting my only copy of the track. There are also quite a lot of mislabelled tracks and items which say they are one length (e.g. 1hr +) but only play for 20 seconds

I’m not sure if this is something due to a lot of the collection being restored from an old back up but I ran the Fixes so presumed a lot of the sorting was complete.

Is there anything I can do to better sort out my collection with Fixes so I can then run the Delete Duplicates again on hopefully a better database of files?

And before that, can I undo the most recent Find Duplicates so that all that are currently in my Trash go back in to the Collection, ready to have the Fixes run on them again?

Thanks

It’s late here but if you run Create Support Files I will look tommorrow

thanks so much - just sent now. No rush!

Hi, had a quick look and you are currently using SongKong 6.7.3, but there were some important fixes for Delete Duplicates in the latest version SongKong 6.8.1, so could you please update to latest version and retry.

Will do, thank you - I wasn’t sure if my licence included updates. What is the best way to undo the last delete duplicates? There are several thousand tracks in my trash that might be the wrong versions to be deleted - should I just drag everything back into Apple Music to import again?

New license give free updates for a year, then it costs £10 for another afterwards.

I think best just to drag the files back as you say.

Hello, I am now on Rumours, I put all the songs back into Music and ran the Delete Duplicates again.

It says it found 4500 duplicates but when I go to Music->File->Library->Show Duplicate Items there are thousands more duplicates displayed. Do I need to ‘refresh’ what Music is seeing now that SongKong has removed the duplicates?

When I click on these duplicates there are a lot of instances of “The song could not be found”

Thanks

Yes, refresh all tracks would resolve it.

do you know how to do that? I turned Sync Library off and on but there are still many many duplicates showing in the Music. Some are dead links, some have multiple versions that play. I have no idea how to tidy it up and get rid of all the broken links and duplicates.

Looking at what SongKong has deleted, it often will have deleted 2 or 3 versions of the same song but, strangely, left another 2 versions of the sang song in Music (same album, bitrate, length etc). I don’t know why so many duplicates remain? Are there any settings that can help?

Did you have Save Changes to Music App enabled on Delete Duplicates - if you had it should have informed iTunes of all files deleted.

Do you perhaps have the situation whereby you have iTunes configured to make copies of the music files as they are added to iTunes, and then you have pointed SongKong to the original files but there are copies of these files in iTunes.

Would help me if you could run Create Support Files from SongKong.

I do have Save Changes to Music App enabled* on Delete Duplicates

However in Music prefs the box is ticked for Copy files to Music Media folder when importing

is this what you mean?

Yes, so that means if you point SongKong to original location Music app will still be making a copy and putting in the media folder, so perhaps you should point SongKong at media folder

sorry to keep coming back - please tell me if this isn’t your problem - but Song Kong is pointing at Media folder

and Music is getting files from

I’m not sure what I should be doing differently?

A lot of the tracks do seem to have 2 versions though so I think the Copy files to Media idea could be to blame but when I go to a track that has 2 identical versions in Music and ask to Reveal in Finder both tracks, they both point to the same file – suggesting there aren’t 2 physical files that are duplicates, but the duplicate only exists in Music …does that make sense?

1 Like

Okay for this problem please look at Dougscripts - https://dougscripts.com/itunes/itinfo/duplicates.php