SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Help! Newbie can't get SongKong to work using Melco

Okay so can you open start page in webbrowser and send screenshot, then from menu bar at the top run Create Support Files

You can disconnect Z: drive if you like, it makes no difference to SongKong

Hi Paul, I hope you can see the screenshot. I’ve run the Create Support Files. Does it go to you?

Yes, okay SongKong is crashing with

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

error every time you try and start it, before you actually do anything in particular, this has happened about ten times although it doesnt look like it happened this time or yo would not be able to run Create Support Files

So it seems the problem is either your Melcos actual physical memory or something else running at the same time utilising too much memory, are you using Twonky or MinimServer and do you have a very large music library?

Hi Paul, I’m running Twonky and the Music Library is only 16% full with 6256 songs on the Melco’s 2Tb SSD.

Is SongKong still running or has it now crashed, either way can you try switching off Twonky temporarily and then try SongKong (restarting if necessary).

I can still go back to the start screen on SK if that is what you mean? It is also still on on the Melco. Shall I switch off Twonky on the Melco and then do what with SK?

Can you access the files on SongKong, I cannot see obvious music folders on that screenshot, what folder do they reside in ?
Actually it would be helpful to me if you remount Z: drive on your PC and firstly post screenshot before do anything else so I better understand your music folder structure in case that is part of problem.

Is that the correct one?

No, I don’t want to see the Logs folder I want to see the music folder, when you connect to an EX from Windows it shows it as Internal

Is that better Paul?

Hi, yes okay I think I know the issue
SongKong works folder by folder, so usually it can work on any size of library because it works on each folder independently, but I see here that all your files are within a single folder and because the Melco is fairly memory constrained it cannot handle this.

If you can use your PC to break into a number of subfolders then I think it will be okay.

Sorry Paul, I don’t understand. The Melco plays song etc fine, no problems. Its just using SK I seem to have issues.

To get all my music onto the Melco, I did a USB copy of my Synology NAS onto a USB HDD and imported that directly into my Melco.

What do you suggest I do with the files, and how do I go about it? Could the fact I only mapped the ‘Logs’ file instead of the ‘Internal’ file be the problem or is that a red herring?

I’ve just tried running the Status Report again but no luck and the Melco has disconnected from the SK Service again.

That is a red herring.

Users normally stores their music files in folders so there is a folder per album, and each folder for an album is within an artist folder, like this:

But you have all your files in a single folder, are they like this on your computer where you made the copy to the USB disk?

Now for playing music the folder structure doesnt matter as long as you have the basic artist and album metadata in the files. But when identifying the songs we are trying to match not just songs but also albums, so we group files logically to help with this, and the first step is grouping by folder, but in your case we have only one folder containing all the files. Now SongKong can deal with random folders containing many songs from any albums, but not this many songs and especially not on a Melco.

So I am asking you to use Windows Explorer to try and split it up a bit, as a test you could just put the Abba songs in its own folder and then run SongKong on the Abba folder and it should work fine.

Thanks Paul.
I’ve just opened up the actual Melco Folder ie.‘N-2EB5:Music Library’ and all the albums are in folders. Please see screenshot below. So now I’m really confused! I copied all my music from the NAS to the USB HDD and then import this directly to the Melco. I had no idea how the NAS stored the Music or maybe there was an option when I copied from the NAS to the USB HDD to remove all the folders? I think I’ve had enough for today!

I think these are just virtual folders based on album metadata
Does the Z:\drive show any folders within the USB_Copy… subfolder or not.

No, no folders within the Z:\drive. Would I need to create these folders for each artist/album within the Z Drive, as I thought the Z drive is not required. Can you see why I’m confused?

Your Z: drive is simply making your Melco filesystem available to your PC, Z: drive is not required for SongKong itself to run, but is required for you to modify folder structure before you use SongKong since SongKong has a problem with your existing structure and you cant login to your Melco like a computer.

You certainly need to create some folders, artist/album would be best, but even if you just split by artist that would be good enough. As I said earlier would be good if you just create an Abba folder and then just run SongKong on the Abba folder to confirm it will work.

Ok thanks Paul. I’ll try this later and let you know how I get on.

Hi Paul, Sorry for the delay in replying, I had to wait as I had posted so many entries as a new user!

I’ve created an Abba Folder within the Z Drive and made a copy of all my Abba songs into it. I’ve tried SK again and it seems to be working!

Should I create folders for each artist within the Z drive and put all the relevant files within each folder as I’ve done with the Abba folder?

With regards to Compilation albums, would it be best to create a folder with the album title as using artist wouldn’t work for compilations would it?

Will this affect the way the Melco currently works or the way I see the music via the Linn App? Would I then need to keep the Z drive mapped in the future - just for SK?

I appreciate your help Paul and I feel like we’re making progress!

HI,

Yes, that sounds good.

No it wont affect how it works, but you may need to refresh Twonky to pick up the folder movements, and restart your player/control point.

No not for SongKong to work, but it maybe useful for you as it is the only way to clearly see the actual folders structure including your music files on your Melco.