SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Genre Numbers

Hi from latest beta, ive problem with genres in Musicbee Player. See screenshot below.

Genres are displayed like Genre(id3_genre_number)

Same problem with MusicIP Mixer. The second and third Genre are displayed as numbers.

And I would suggest, to use as Max no of Genres = 1 when Jaikoz is really new installed (no previous version installed)

[quote=Alfg]

And I would suggest, to use as Max no of Genres = 1 when Jaikoz is really new installed (no previous version installed)[/quote]

I’d agree with that.

A few things here:

You are right No of Genres should default to 1 by default, this was an oversight.
This is even more so because the majority of players do not understand multiple genres as can be seen from the screenshot.

For ID3v23tag multiple genres are stored in one field, and they can stored either literally (i.e. Rock) or as a reference to a predefined list in brackets (i.e. (17) ) .It seems that at least with iTunes
if they are stored as (17) then the text representation of that number is displayed (i.e Rock) and no other genres are displayed, whereas if they are stored as Rock then any subsequent values are also displayed, and displayed literally as they are stored (i.e Rock (123)(45))

So unless your player understands IDv23 genre refinements it is best to store just one genre and make use of the genres -> grouping instead.

ID3 has better support for multiple genres in ID3v24 so it is better to use this format if you can, although the iTunes player will only show the first genre you wont get the number problem anymore and other player such as Foobar 2000 will show all the genres.