SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

First time user - issue about artwork

Hi Paul,

First a big thank you for this great tool. I am not so technical, but just a big music lover. My precious collection in iTunes was quite up-to-date but still could use some enhancements - that’s why I immediatly purchased Jaykoz because of its good recommendations. This weekend I spent a lot of time on running Jaikoz to analyze a bit more than 11.000 items.

A lot of metadata has been corrected but I am a bit shocked that most of my artwork seems to be changed to a much lower resolution. Where I had 600x600 or even more, now its often not more than 90x90. This is easy to notice for me because in iTunes I use the coverflow view a lot on my 21’ screen :wink: In my enthousiasm I propably forgot to change the default setting for album art to “only when field is empty”. Maybe its a good advice to set this a default, so amateurs like myself can’t do anything wrong.

Can you help me out? Is MusicBrainz artwork always of this low resolution? Can it be corrected in some way without going to my backup state? (I backup up the itunes xml first but I do not want to spend another weekend running Jaikoz…).

Last: Is a processing & analyzing time of > 24 hours normal for appr. 11.000 files? I think so, but just to be sure…

Regards,

• Raymond

[quote=RaymondAlexander]
A lot of metadata has been corrected but I am a bit shocked that most of my artwork seems to be changed to a much lower resolution. Where I had 600x600 or even more, now its often not more than 90x90 … I propably forgot to change the default setting for album art to “only when field is empty”. Maybe its a good advice to set this a default, so amateurs like myself can’t do anything wrong.[/quote]
Yes this is now the default in 2.5.0 because of this exact problem, I think you must still be using the older version, now its happened I would use the GetAlbumArtwork within iTune sto get the higher res artwork. On second thoughts the problem might be that iTunes doesnt actually store the artwork it automtaiclaly retrieves in the file itself, its stores in its database so Jaikoz cant see it, so actually deleting the artwork added by Jaikoz should get it to revert back to its artwork in the iTunes db.

Not always but nomally it will be lower resolution than that retrieved by iTunes

I would expect it to be about 5 or 6 hours. Please check Port 10001 is open - see http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/505.page

Thanks for the reply. If the artwork is embedded by Jaikoz, how can I delete it to return to its artwork in iTunes, then?

Just select the artwork fields, right click for contextual and select delete. Select save changes to confirm the deltions.

Ok, I deleted all the artwork in Jaikoz, the delete job worked fine, the result however is worse than my starting position.

After the deletion iTunes does NOT recognize the previous artwork on all of the tracks involved. So deleting the embedded artwork resulted in NO artwork in iTunes at all. I had to instruct iTunes to gather all the album artwork again (which is not perfect, ofcourse).

The artwork that I collected throughout the years (googling etc) has been lost too.

My lessons:

• make a sound judgement whether artwork repair is necessary;
  • make (double) sure the default Jaikoz setting to find album art is correct (only repair when no artwork is available);

Hi raymond, thought id already replied to this but it seems not

I didnt know this, but at least is straight forward to reget from iTunes

That is unfortunate, but you didnt mention this to me before.

The key problem is that iTunes doesn’t store its artwork in the file itself but in its internal database, so Jaikoz cant see if the artwork has been downloaded. Hence even if select Jaikoz to only download artwork if there is none it will think the tracks with iTunes downloaded artwork have none because they are not actually in the file. I think there might be some programs that can put the artwork into the file itself.

Does Jaikoz delete the folder.jpg artwork if it downloads new artwork? I have tons of hi-res jpgs of cover art that I don’t want to be overwritten!

So far Jaikoz just rocks…I’ve done a test run on 1500 of my tracks. I had to manually edit a bunch of things to override matching to other albums, but that is to be expected I think given that often the same song is on multiple albums.

Also, is there a source for all the liner note artwork and back of the album artwork? Would be nice to download/collect this for all my albums.

[quote=rynoshark]Does Jaikoz delete the folder.jpg artwork if it downloads new artwork?
[/quote]
No it may overwrite artwork embedded within the file , but it wont delet fiels outside of the mp3 file such as folder.jpg. BTW if you want to embed this artwork into the mp3 file itself use Action/Local Correct/Correct Artwork

Thanks, its not an exact science.

[quote=rynoshark]
Also, is there a source for all the liner note artwork and back of the album artwork? Would be nice to download/collect this for all my albums.[/quote]
No, at least not from within jaikoz