SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

files not renaming

Hello,
Just upgraded to 3.5.0. The “correct filenames from metadata” action is not working at all for me. I know how to set the renaming mask in preferences, and I know to run the action separately from the action menu. Am I missing something obvious?

Great software! I don’t want to have to roll back to previous version though!

N

Its working fine for me, I think the best thing to do would me to email support @ jthink dot net with the zip created with Advanced/Create SUpport FIles and I can take a look

You seem to have just tried to run it on one single file a number of times, is that what you meant to do , does this file actually have enough metadata to sensibly create a filename from it.

That happened to be the first file I tried correcting, and it didn’t work so I tried it a few times. I didn’t realize that after I had corrected the metadata, in the info section, that file had been designated as being part of a compilation (check box checked). And since I had the compilation rename mask empty (not sure how to use it yet…) it was not renaming. Everything is fine after I turned the compilation check box off in this song’s metadata.

Its nice when a potential problem is resolved easily :slight_smile:

I’m actually having a similar issue. Jaikoz thinks it renamed the file, in fact the summary tab at the bottom reflects an updated filename, but the actual file itself has not changed. i ran this against a folder containing 100 files. It successfully changed 92 filenames, and seems to not want to change these last 8. I’ve moved the 8 into their own folder, and tried running variations against it to no avail.

Just wanted to throw it out there, it wasn’t just an isolated RTFM incident.

Sounds like you haven’t done ‘Save Changes’.

Any modifications you make are not committed until you elect to save changes, this gives you chance to review any potential changes.

I had ‘Save Changes’ in my modifiers sections (the list of actions to take when you auto update). I also tried hitting the actual save button, or working the drop down menu save option. It didn’t appear to impact the outcome.

I did, however, take the first posters idea, and modified the ‘Is Compilation’ checkbox on all the songs. For some songs, I had to ‘check’ the box, others I had to ‘uncheck’ the box. Whenever I had a song that refused to have it’s filename updated, I ran this process and got the results I was looking for.

Is there a way to modify this field (the Is Compilation) en mass?

If I understand correctly, there is a common issue.

Since now we can have rename masks for normal files and a different one for compilations, you need to make sure both of your masks are filled in, even if they are the same mask.

I haven’t tried this but if Musicbrainz comes back with Is Compilation? checked, then it will try to use the compilation mask and if there isn’t one, it doesn’t rename the file. This is why some people were getting some files renamed but not others.

If this is indeed what is happening, maybe there could be a condition in the save method that defaults to the main rename mask? I’m not sure what would be more correct : either not rename it or rename with the normal mask.