SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Fields no longer read/written in flac files

The Jaikoz fields ‘Album Artist’ and ‘Disc No’ are no longer read or written in flac files, starting with version 9.3.0. Previously, they were read/written from/to the flac metadata attributes ‘album_artist’ and ‘disc’, respectively. Did some mapping from Jaikoz fields to flac attributes change?

Disc No has always mapped to DISCNUMBER
Album Artist maps to ALBUM_ARTIST

I don’t believe anything has changed, what evidence do you have for this ?

In my experience, ‘Disc No’ was previously stored in FLAC files as ‘disc’, not ‘DISCNUMBER’; ‘Album Artist’ was previously stored in FLAC files as both ‘album_artist’ and ‘ALBUM ARTIST’, not ‘ALBUM_ARTIST’. Here is the ffprobe output of a flac recording whose metadata I wrote with Jaikoz 9.2.0, and one I wrote with Jaikoz 9.3.0:

Input #0, flac, from ‘01 Nica’s Dream.flac’:
Metadata:
ARTIST : Conner Leeb
ALBUM : Conner Leeb Audition 2017-09-24
TITLE : Nica’s Dream
track : 01
GENRE : Jazz
DATE : 2017
disc : 01
DISCTOTAL : 02
TRACKTOTAL : 09
COMMENT : ? 2017 Craig A. Rich
album_artist : Conner Leeb
ALBUM ARTIST : Conner Leeb
COMPILATION : 1
ARTISTSORT : Leeb, Conner
ALBUMARTISTSORT : Leeb, Conner
Duration: 00:03:55.06, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2720 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 88200 Hz, stereo, s32 (24 bit)

Input #0, flac, from ‘01 Just Friends (Take 1).flac’:
Metadata:
ARTIST : Tiger Diep
ALBUM : Conner Leeb Audition 2017-11-21
TITLE : Just Friends (Take 1)
track : 01
GENRE : Jazz
DATE : 2017
COMMENT : ? 2017 Craig A. Rich
COMPILATION : 1
ARTISTSORT : Diep, Tiger
ALBUMARTISTSORT : Diep, Tiger
DISCTOTAL : 01
TRACKTOTAL : 13
Duration: 00:04:26.20, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 2618 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 88200 Hz, stereo, s32 (24 bit)

When I read the first FLAC file (written with Jaikoz 9.2.0) into Jaikoz 9.3.0, the Jaikoz fields ‘Album Artist’ and ‘Disc No’ appear empty. When I read the same file into Jaikoz 9.2.0, the Jaikoz fields ‘Album Artist’ and ‘Disc No’ contain the values from the FLAC metadata attributes ‘disc’ and ‘album_artist’ (or ‘ALBUM ARTIST’). If you take a FLAC file with no metadata and try to write the Jaikoz fields ‘Album Artist’ and ‘Disc No’ using Jaikoz 9.3.0, no metadata is written.

Im struggling with this analysis because Jaikoz writes all Flac metadata fields in uppercase not lowercase, so it seems to me you are actually creating this metadata with some other application ?

I’ve never used any other application to write metadata to flac files, and the files to which I add metadata are fresh recordings from my studio that initally have no additional metadata attributes;. The attributes you see were certainly added by Jaikoz.

The problem is easily reproduced. I recorded a bare flac audio with no metadata, then added values for three Jaikoz fields (‘Title’, ‘Album Artist’, ‘Disc No’) using fresh installs of Jaikoz 9.2.0 and 9.3.0. Here is ffprobe’s output on the before and after files:

Input #0, flac, from ‘before_jaikoz.flac’:
Duration: 00:00:48.02, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1094 kb/s
Stream #0:0: Audio: flac, 88200 Hz, mono, s32 (24 bit)

Input #0, flac, from ‘after_jaikoz_9.2.0.flac’:
Metadata:
TITLE : Title
album_artist : Album Artist
ALBUM ARTIST : Album Artist
disc : 01
Duration: 00:00:48.02, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1095 kb/s

Input #0, flac, from ‘after_jaikoz_9.3.0.flac’:
Metadata:
TITLE : Title
Duration: 00:00:48.02, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1095 kb/s

I posted all three files at https://littlemountainmusic.org/recordings/jaikoz/

If you open after_jaikoz_9.2.0.flac in a HexEditor you’ll see Discno is actually stored as DISCNUMBER as I said, and Album Artist is stored as ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST (because community split on what should be used for album artist). So it looks like ffprobe maps known field names to a lowercase display value (i.e DISCNUMBER -> disc, ALBUM_ARTIST ->album_artist) but unknown left as uppercase (TITLE, ALBUM ARTIST) (but surely it recognises TITLE tag ? )

The after_jaikzo 9.3.0 file doesnt have these values anymore, but I can edit these versions of the file fine, so I think you shoud try redownloading and installing Jaikoz 9.3.0, what OS are you using ?

OK. Thanks for the diagnosis. I’d prefer that ffprobe not “interpret” the attribute names in flac files, but that explains the mapping confusion.

I thoroughly scrubbed Jaikoz preferences and caches, and reinstalled Jaikoz 9.3.0, and now I am able to edit all attribute values. For the record, I am running MacOS 10.13.2 with Java 9.0.1. Thanks again, Jaikoz is a fine application and I appreciate the years of steady attention you’ve given it.

Great, glad we got it resolved,