SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Different results after auto correct of the same song

Dear readers,

By accident I auto-corrected a song twice, using jaikoz.
So original - > auto-correct-> result 1
And original -> auto-correct->result 2.
To my surprise the results is not identical : the 2 result-files have different sizes, but sound the same.
I can provide the input and output files if needed.
Also, I don’t see any difference in tags that are corrected.
Then : why are the files different ?

So, I tested this with more files, and what happens : when a list of 20 files is auto corrected twice (as decribed above), 4 files are converted differently, the rest the same. I have 3 folders : 20 files in original, 20 files in converted1, 20 files in converted2. I used jaikoz to auto correct original to converted1, and auto correct original to converted2. You would expect no difference between converted1 and converted2. But 4 files are different.

Inconsitent file changes bother me, why this would happen.

Thanks for your analyses.

In your first case you say you see no difference in the metadata but Jaikoz can fix over fifty fields, so maybe you did not check them all, or maybe the problem is just an issue with how metadata is stored in the files, files can store padding which may be used or modified when saving changes.

Jaikoz matches based on file location, metadata and acoustid ids.

You don’t say in your last test how your metadata is different.

But here is one scenario that would explain the difference in metadata, assume the first time you ran Jaikoz the metadata was poor and perhaps it was unable to match all songs to a release in one go but matched them individually - maybe eventually matching all to one release, or different versions of the same release, I cannot say without the original files.

The second time you ran autocorrect your files have improved metadata as a result of the first autocorrect, this would make it easier to find a match and maybe a better match.

I just noticed similar behavior and saw this post.

A question that may help clarify: does Jaikoz do its’ auto-correct only from the original metadata, eg in the file? IOW, if you do one pass, it fills in some data, then run auto-correct again (or just manually edit fields), will it pick up the new in-memory values, or the disk (original) values?

In my case, it looks like it only uses the values on the disk (ie the original values). So, if I update a field, SAVE IT, then re-run the auto-correct, now it gets better data (ie now it will find the year or art, whereas it did not before).

No, I think it would use in-memory values