SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Database update

I’m new to SongKong and during the update I have seen a message that the database has been cleaned. Then I read the manual and I have seen that. Is it lost? Why there isn’t at least a warning when something as usual as an update delete things?

It seems to restore correctly as expected before the update. So, what is deleted? I did an update on new files after the update and now I want to revert to the pre-SongKong state and it seems to work.

SongKong does usually rebuild the database when you upgrade because it is not practible to try and convert the database from update to update. Since the database is only there to allow Undo Changes which is a short term process that users usually utilize within days of running Fix Songs, and for performance reasons emptying the database and starting again with each new release is not usually an issue.

I’m not quite clear how Undo Changes worked for you immediately after update if that is what you are saying, all I can think is the database was not actually replaced in this instance.

Fortunately, the changes that I wanted to revert where done by running SK after the update.
What happen if try to restore a backup of the database? Do I need to revert to the version that created the db?

If you made a copy of the database and then tried to go back to it, then yes you would need the same version of SongKong as was used for that version of database. But I think you are missing the point of the database, SongKong is not a music manager like iTunes or Media Monkey that needs syncing between a library and the actual files. The database is only there so that SongKong can do mass updates on thousands of files without requiring more and more memory as the number of files fixed increases, i.e without the database all the metadata would be stored in memory. It also allows you to Undo Changes, but this is expected at most to to be used a week after initially making changes if you discover a problem. It is not intended that having made some changes with SongKong that you would wait a few months before deciding to revert them, so the issue with resetting database when update to new version is not really an issue.