SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Cover Art "Never Replace" option

Hi there Paul and team,

Thanks for this amazing piece of software. Have been enjoying what it does!

I am looking for the cover art “never replace” option that is mentioned in documentation I found online for SK. However, as of the most current version I do not see “Never replace” as an option.

For my situation, I would prefer that all cover art NOT be embedded in any sound files and cover art only be present as a separate file in each album folder.

Is there a way to make this happen, and better yet, force it so that any sound files that have embedded cover art gets that deleted?

Thanks!

That option was removed because it made no sense, because if you never wanted to add cover art you could simply uncheck the Find Front Cover Artwork checkbox, the documentation needs an update.

Now, what you want to do is add artwork for your music files but only store as a separate file and never store in the music files themselves. We don’t currently have this option because I don’t see any need for it. Having the cover art in the files themselves means:

• the integrity of the music data is preserved if the music is moved
  • makes it compatible with more music players
  • makes it possible for music taggers to accurately identify if music has existing covert art,
  • compared to the size of the music data the artwork only takes up a negligible amount of additional space.

Saving as a file within the album folder as well is useful when browsing music by folder and help with some older music player software that only looks in the folders and doesn’t understand artwork metadata within the files themselves, but this is a only a secondary location.

Interested to know why you only want to store cover art as a seperate file ?

Hi @paultaylor - thanks for your reply. All of what you say makes sense.

The only reason I want to store cover art as a separate file is due to audiophilia nervosa and uncertainty as to whether the increased processing load involved in reading a file with embedded (potentially large) cover art will affect sound quality at a subtle level.

I know, it makes no sense, but wanted to account for it if I could.

Thanks!

Hi, I’m sure it makes no difference , since when reading the audio data it just reading audio data, any metadata in the file is irrelevant.

But if you really wanted to do this, you could use another tool to delete artwork from all music files after using SongKong to add the metadata