SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

CONTENTGROUP/GROUPING Copy/Remove Issue

I noticed recently that the Grouping field on Jaikoz has switched from %grouping% to %contentgroup% when viewing. I’m sure there are reasons for this, so not too fussed.

I want to update all of my existing media so that the %contentgroup% field now has data (in my case Discogs Genre) and then I want to delete the old %grouping% field.

I loaded up an album and I can see the old grouping field on the ID3tag tab under the column “Unknown list”, an example if i open the display data box is: GRP1:Text=“Rock”;

All fine and good but I can’t copy that field to the new %contentgroup% field (or any field for that matter). I also wanted to check if I could remove the old %grouping% field, so I went ahead and selected empty column, which removed the data in that column and saved.

Closed Jaikoz and opened it again reloaded the files and the Unknown List/GRP1 tag is still there.

Now I could go into mp3tag and just copy from %grouping% to %contentgroup% but I’d rather do it in Jaikoz due to memory limitations. Not all of my media has tags derived from discogs/mb, but they do all have a grouping so I can’t just use update discogs data to populate the new field.

Am I missing something obvious?

[quote=mogodon]I noticed recently that the Grouping field on Jaikoz has switched from %grouping% to %contentgroup% when viewing.
[/quote]
When viewing from where ?
I think the change is actually in your tool due to changes to iTunes.

So actually for ID3 formats the old grouping field is actually TIT1, and this was used by users to store things like genres. However when iTunes added support for classical music work and movements they decided to use TIT1 to store the work, and created a new field called GRP1 that mapped to their Grouping field.

So we now have the situation that most tools use TIT1 (also known as Content Group Description) for grouping, but iTunes uses it for Classical works and uses GRP1 for grouping, this affects Mp3 and Aif, there is not a problem with other formats.

Currently Jaikoz still maps the Grouping field to the TIT1, it hasn’t changed. But if you are matching Classical the Remote Correct:Classical:Copy Work to Grouping field option can choose how you write to GRP/TIT1 field.

But it is certainly confusing, and I really wish Apple had not done this - http://blog.jthink.net/2016/12/itunes-add-new-grouping-field-but.html

Thanks for the explanation, although I must admit I’m still confused.

Probably doesn’t help that I don’t use iTunes.

For reference when i was referring to Grouping vs Contentgroup, I was viewing this tag in MP3Tag and was basing it on the field name in those apps rather than the ID for the field. While I tag the majority of my files with Jaikoz I still use mp3tag for the odd more stubborn match.

Files which I tagged with jaikoz last year have my discog genres in the tag called GROUPING and files that I’ve tagged recently have them in the tag called CONTENTGROUP. If they both map to the same field that’s cool.

To be honest I use Plex and Kodi to play music neither of which use the grouping field, I just figured at some point in the future one or the other might allow it to be used.