SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Clueless newbie questions

Hi

I’m currently using iTunes and I’m tired of its shortcomings. I’m shopping for a new app.
Yet I can understand what Jaikoz claims it does and it seems pretty good but I looking for undocumented stuff:

• is it, er…, a player as well?
  • does it manage mp3 only? I use only m4a files.
    Regards
    Nick

[quote=Nicolas Daum]Hi
is it, er…, a player as well?
[/quote]
No it isn’t, the aim of Jaikoz is to be a top class Tag Editor, if I wanted it to be a Music Player as well this could leads to design conflicts between these the two different aims. For example if your mp3 does not contain a title field iTunes uses the name of the file as the title, this is a sensible fallback position but it would be confusing if Jaikoz did this because as a tag editor I want Jaikoz to show the values actually in your metadata. Secondly I dont have the resource to do both.

The current release only supports MP3, but the next release which will be released by the end of this month has had modifications to the interface to allow it to support multiple audio formats, and will support Ogg Vorbis .
Shortly after that should have support for MP4 and Flac.

[quote=Nicolas Daum]Hi

I’m currently using iTunes and I’m tired of its shortcomings. I’m shopping for a new app.
Yet I can understand what Jaikoz claims it does and it seems pretty good but I looking for undocumented stuff:

Regards
    Nick[/quote]

I just purchased the software last night and took a collection of almost 6 GB of a folder ofmps’3 that were very close being in my recycle bin and gave 95% of them full tags and about 70% with album art…I currently use Firefly on a small homebrew laptop media server and the use for this with a large music collection is immeasurable. I have tried similar products and honestly I cannot explain how nice it is to have a program take care of YEARS of mixed music from my collection…at times I have let it grow but missed album art and just got sloppy with tags. One hard drive crash and recovery and alot of messed up tags later I was left with a big mess. Most of my music is decently tagged but this took alot of guesswork and time adding art. The tool is extremely handy as I cannot add artwork within itunes when using FIREFLY, I use this to handle the backbone of my music management. Its a great piece of software and I currently use it to manage close to 90 Gb of music from my collection. AWESOME JOB.

[quote=87boosted][quote=Nicolas Daum]Hi

Regards
    Nick[/quote]

I just purchased the software last night and took a collection of almost 6 GB of a folder ofmps’3 that were very close being in my recycle bin and gave 95% of them full tags and about 70% with album art…I currently use Firefly on a small homebrew laptop media server and the use for this with a large music collection is immeasurable. I have tried similar products and honestly I cannot explain how nice it is to have a program take care of YEARS of mixed music from my collection…at times I have let it grow but missed album art and just got sloppy with tags. One hard drive crash and recovery and alot of messed up tags later I was left with a big mess. Most of my music is decently tagged but this took alot of guesswork and time adding art. The tool is extremely handy as I cannot add artwork within itunes when using FIREFLY, I use this to handle the backbone of my music management. Its a great piece of software and I currently use it to manage close to 90 Gb of music from my collection. AWESOME JOB.[/quote]

++ this post. I was in basically the same situation. I let Jaikoz loose on a dreaded “Unknown Artist - Unknown Album” type directory with a ton of untagged and essentially worthless files as many were also named things like “01 Track 1a.mp3”. I was so impressed, I let Jaikoz run on the rest of the collection to add some artwork, fix track numbers, and correct a ton of mistakes. I had to go back and double check a few things, but Jaikoz saved my sanity and my collection.