SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Carry on with tagging?

Hello everyone
I’ve been maintaining my music metadata with SongKong and Jaikoz for years now and the amount of information that accumulates bit by bit is impressive and the way I find my music with it under MinimServer is nice but not the be-all and end-all.
When I listen via the Tidal app, for example, I can read background information about the artists or the works, which I was also able to do a few years ago via the NAIM app, I think ROVI was connected then.
I miss that now and I’m wondering whether I should continue to make the effort to maintain metadata or switch to ROON straight away? I don’t like a lot of things about ROON, ultimately there is a vendor lock-in.
Maybe the planned PDF booklet is a solution?
I am looking forward to your feedback.

Unfortunately there is currenlty no uPnP control point up to the job, if using MinimServer backend it can be configured to browse by any metadata you like, but it is still usually quite ugly and cumbersome, and when you get to actually playing something the information avaolble about the artist/album/track is limited.

Hopefully this will change.

In the meantime I think Roon player is the best thing availble, although it is expensive for what it is.

However, whether or not you give Roon a go good metadata is still necessary for the best results. Roon has to recognize your music for the best experience and the algorithm it uses is a bit hit and miss, but if you have already matched the albums to MusicBrainz with SongKong then it will recognize the Musicbrainz Ids added by SongKong and use them. If SongKong has matched the album to Discogs then Roon can use that metadata to help find a match, even if it cannot find a match it can still use the metadata added to link to artist info ecetera.

So keep on top of the metadata, and maybe give roon a go until something better comes along.