SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Can't update Metadata retrieved using PUID lookup on Musicbrainz

Hello

I’ve just installed a full version of 3.8.1 on Ubuntu 10.10 amd-64 and so far am having no luck in getting it to update any track using Musicbrainz metadata.

The track in question has no metadata at all currently. After successfully retrieving a PUID from MusicDNS, I run

Action|Remote Correct|Autocorrect Metadata from Musicbrainz

and the console output returns:

31/10/2010 00.01.18:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.ExecutorServiceEnabledAnalyser:run:WARNING: com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:Started
31/10/2010 00.01.18:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:WARNING: com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:Started
31/10/2010 00.01.18:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.musicbrainzhelper.MusicBrainzServerQuery:doQuery:SEVERE: 00:01:18:087:URL:http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/release/?type=xml&limit=10&query=release:“james yorkston \- the lang toun”
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.musicbrainzhelper.MusicBrainzServerQuery:doQuery:SEVERE: 00:01:19:088:URL:http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/track/?type=xml&puid=258348e4-0d25-eeb3-7596-a2dbc080fa45
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:SEVERE: ******* After 1st pass we still have:1 tracks to match
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:SEVERE: ******* After 2nd pass we still have:1 tracks to match
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:SEVERE: ******* After 3rd pass we still have:1 tracks to match
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzBySongWorker:call:SEVERE: Starting CorrectSongFromMusicBrainzWorker2 for:276:The Lang Toun - 01 - The Lang Toun.mp3
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:SEVERE: ********* After 4th pass we still have:1 tracks to match
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:SEVERE: Number of Queries/Lookups sent to Musicbrainz:2
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:analyseData:WARNING: com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:Ended
31/10/2010 00.01.19:com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.ExecutorServiceEnabledAnalyser:run:WARNING: com.jthink.jaikoz.manipulate.CorrectFromMusicBrainzAnalyser:Ended

As can be seen, a (correct) match has been found at http://musicbrainz.org/show/puid/?puid=258348e4-0d25-eeb3-7596-a2dbc080fa45

However Jaikoz updates nothing at all in the spreadsheet and all the metadata fields for the track (excepting PUID) remain blank. My copy of the song is 4 seconds longer than the one at Musicbrainz.

This is happening with all tracks however, I’ve still yet to see Jaikoz update anything by doing a PUID lookup at Musicbrainz, despite evidently making successful hits.

I’m totally new to Jaikoz, and whilst it all looks very powerful, I can’t even seem to get this basic feature working, am I doing something wrong or misunderstanding something?

Thanks
Ben

You seem to be understanding things correctly, can you try rerunning Autocorrect, I wonder if you might get a match 2nd time round.

If not try again with debugging increased to -l4 (see help)

Hi, your analysis is pretty much spot-on, what has happened is you’ve hit a corner case which could be improved.

Jaikoz tries to match based on release which it takes by checking the release field And/Or the folder the file is within. It uses both of these to give it more to work with. It always does matching on a release by release basis than just doing a track by track match based on Puid for a numbers of reasons:

1. Earlier versions of Jaikoz were very good at matching to the correct track but not necessarily the correct album because the same track can be on many albums, so we use now release based matching first of all.
  2. Release based matching rather than per track matching requires less queries to be sent to Musicbrainz, since there is a limit of one query per second this is very important and results in faster matches.

Release matching does a lookup based on the release name

http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/release/?type=xml&limit=10&query=release:"james yorkston \\- the lang toun" 

which gives no matches, and if any of the tracks that have been grouped as looking like they belong to one release have a puid the first one is looked up. In your case you only have one track in thsi grouping but its more usual to have a larger grouping, so your puid is looked up

http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/track/?type=xml&puid=258348e4-0d25-eeb3-7596-a2dbc080fa45 

and finds a match, but we then score all potential matches at the release level and it fails on the release match (1st Pass) because ‘the lang toun’ is obviously completely different to ‘Feber 2: Andres Lokko - Folk (disc 1)’.

2nd and 3rd pass are just tweaking the release macthing and has no effect in this case.

4th pass is the track by track matching you desire whereby essentially a good title/artist/track duration is good enough, if the track already had any relevant Metadata (artist,release,title,trackno) it would do a match on that first but yours hasn’t, so it would then do a match by puid. However before doing this match it checks that the track hasn’t already been looked up by Puid on the basis that if it has and no decent match was found there is no point looking it up again. Unfortunately this is what happened in your case so no match found.

So I need to refine the algorithm to rescore any puid matches that were rejected during the release matching.

Paul,
that’s a good idea :slight_smile:

Fixed now in 3.8.2