SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Cannot read file list from NAS device on OS X

My (iTunes) music library / directory is on a NAS device that is accessed through SMB/CIFS. It seems that Jaikoz either does not like having to ready the file list from a network share or it doesn’t like the number of directories and files in the library (over 12k files in about 2k directories).

Is this something that I can debug and help the developers find a solution?

Thanks.

Just a follow up. I found the Jaikoz log file and see that it was in fact loading the files:

Jun 10, 2007 5:54:38 PM: INFO: Jaikoz initialized successfully
Jun 10, 2007 6:25:14 PM: INFO: Started to load 27,951 files from /Volumes/VOLUME_1/Music/iTunes Music

So it took about 30 minutes to get a full list and then start loading them. Unfortunately, I obviously cancelled the read - but the popup window never updated the message and always said “Calculating how many files to be loaded” with “0 files loaded so far”.

I will leave it running.

Question: does Jaikoz need to read the file list every time it starts are does it cache it?

[quote=Focher]My (iTunes) music library / directory is on a NAS device that is accessed through SMB/CIFS. It seems that Jaikoz either does not like having to ready the file list from a network share or it doesn’t like the number of directories and files in the library (over 12k files in about 2k directories).
[/quote]

Hi, I think there is an issue with Java doing a File count over network drives, I will investigate further.

However be aware, that performance of any application is going to be slower when applied to files on a network, and this going to be more noticeable as you load more files. Jaikoz is an MP3 Tagger not a MP3 Manager/Player and as such its intended mode of use would be something like:

Load some files that needs correction
Fix them in Jaikoz
Play them in iTunes (no need to load them into jaikoz again).

For this reason there is no cache of files because it is not expected the customer will be loading every file they have into Jaikoz every time. I have not imposed an upper limit on how many tracks can be loaded but I think 27,000 is too many, many other tagging applications limit you to one album at a time! When you start iTunes it is reading from its own cache and this leads to many problems for users whereby they make modifications in one application and it doesnt get updated in iTunes, I didnt want to go down the same road with jaikoz.