SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Cannot make changes to file <filename> because null

“There was a problem changing some files,these have been left with status of changed | Cannot make changes to file because null”

I’m using Windows 7 RC, so it could be related to that, but it’s happening nonetheless.

Log files:

http://www.behemoth.ca/logs.zip

I had this same problem. If its happening for every file its because you didn’t uninstall the old version before installing the new one. That should fix it.

Just tried it on a fresh install of Windows 7 RC - never had Jaikoz installed before, and it’s still doing it.

I should also mention that I was having the problem with flac files on this new install, and I tried m4a files in the same directory and they worked fine. I know the first time I saw the error I was tagging flac files as well, but if memory serves, m4a files in the same directory had the problem too.

I also had this problem at the weekend.

Brand new installation (I’ve never used Jaikoz before) on Windows Vista, managed to save one album successfully but everything after that has produced the “Cannot make changes to file because null” error.

Interestingly I am also using FLAC, I haven’t tried any other filetypes.

I’ve got the same problem, only with flac, on Ubuntu Jaunty with sun jre 6.

Here’s corresponding console output:

19/05/2009 11.42.51:org.jaudiotagger.audio.generic.AudioFileWriter:write:SEVERE: Cannot make changes to file /home/kaspar/Music/Red Hot Chili Peppers Discography (FLAC)/2006 - Stadium Arcadium/Disc 2 - Mars/13 Turn It Again.flac because null                                                                                                                       
java.lang.NullPointerException                                                                                                                                                      
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.flac.metadatablock.MetadataBlockDataPicture.getBytes(MetadataBlockDataPicture.java:147)                                                           
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.flac.FlacTagCreator.convert(FlacTagCreator.java:66)                                                                                               
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.generic.AbstractTagCreator.convert(AbstractTagCreator.java:41)                                                                                    
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.flac.FlacTagWriter.write(FlacTagWriter.java:148)                                                                                                  
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.flac.FlacFileWriter.writeTag(FlacFileWriter.java:39)                                                                                              
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.generic.AudioFileWriter.write(AudioFileWriter.java:347)                                                                                           
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.AudioFileIO.writeFile(AudioFileIO.java:308)                                                                                                       
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.AudioFileIO.write(AudioFileIO.java:157)                                                                                                           
        at org.jaudiotagger.audio.AudioFile.commit(AudioFile.java:115)                                                                                                              
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.flac.FlacBridge.saveDataToFile(FlacBridge.java:214)                                                                                               
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.LibBridge.<init>(LibBridge.java:374)                                                                                                              
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.flac.FlacBridge.<init>(FlacBridge.java:68)                                                                                                        
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.LibBridge.saveToFile(LibBridge.java:187)                                                                                                          
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.AbstractAudioFileBridge.saveFile(AbstractAudioFileBridge.java:212)                                                                                
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.TagSaver$WorkerThread.run(TagSaver.java:578)                                                                                                           
19/05/2009 11.42.51:com.jthink.jaikoz.TagSaver$WorkerThread:run:SEVERE: Unable to save record:RecNo:785 with filename:13 Turn It Again.flacbecause of:Cannot make changes to file /home/kaspar/Music/Red Hot Chili Peppers Discography (FLAC)/2006 - Stadium Arcadium/Disc 2 - Mars/13 Turn It Again.flac because null    

Same problem in Leopard (Mac OS X) and some FLAC files:

21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/04 - Kelly Watch The Stars .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/01 - La Femme D'Argent .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/10 - Le Voyage De Penelope .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/05 - Talisman .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/06 - Remember .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/02 - Sexy Boy .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/08 - Ce Matin La .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/07 - You Make It Easy .flac because null
21-mag-2009 11.45.20: GRAVE: Cannot make changes to file /Volumes/musica/Air - Moon Safari (1998) [FLAC]/03 - All I Need .flac because null

So this is a FLAC only problem, sorry Im on holiday at the moment but will look at this when I get back

Very good!
The problem is with many files (almost half of my collection), so I hope you could fix it soon. In case I will buy a license key (now I’m trying it)… Jaikoz is GREAT!

I am also having the same problem with flac files on XP SP3. This began after I upgraded to 3.0. I had tagged about 15,000 files prior to upgrading without a problem. The problem is not with all flac files. It appears to only affect files for which Jaikoz acquires the cover art itself. If I delete the artwork and then load my own jpg the file saves ok.

I’m seeing this crop up as well. As the flac files were copied over from somewhere else, I will try to get the originals to show you.

This is on a mac.

I confirm that removing the acquired covers solves the problem and FLAC files are saved.

I too am getting the “…because null”

Like ppl are saying seem to come from the artwork acquired from MusicBrainz.

I did load an older version of Jaikoz and still got this error with flac files

Maybe its something that MusicBrainz changed with the artwork.

Hope its fixed soon…

I confirm that removing the acquired covers solves the problem and FLAC files are saved.[/quote]

I deleted the artwork and the files saved as well but it appears not every flac had the issue. Most but not all. doesn’t appear to hurt the musical content. i played a few of them afterward.

I think the problem you saw in an earlier version of Jaikoz must be something else. But there was a bug intrdocued in 3.0.0 when updating artwork from Musicbrainz that it isnt setting the image format field correctly which causes a problem for FLAC files. This is fixed in dev and II’ll try and get out release today.

Yay!! Paul’s back!! Hope you had a good vacation :slight_smile:

Going to test out the new version right now.

New version has fixed the problem (for me at least). Thanks a lot, Paul!

Hmm… I seem to be having this problem still. This is on a MacBook running Snow Leopard and Jaikoz 3.3.2.

I get a pop up error after trying to save the changes (after autocorrection) that tells me that “There was a problem changing some files, these have been left with the status of changed.” I am then presented with a list of files, each of which is preceded by “Cannot make changes to file …”. In my experiments (on FLAC files), none of the changed files are written.

So, the “can’t change” error does not arise when I try to save autocorrected mp3s.

Renderframer your error is different, and you need to send your support files (advanced/Create Support Files) so that I cant see what is going on.