SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

Can not start up jaikoz

I haven’t tagged any of my files in a few months. Went to start up jaikoz and it would not start up. Tried the batch file and it would load the cmd prompt and do a few things and then shut down before ever launching jaikoz. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the latest version of java. Noticed I had a slightly older version of jaikoz. Unfortunately there is no windows uninstaller in jaikoz that shows up in the add/remove programs. I tried running the uninstaller buried in the jaikoz folder and it would throw errors and never fully uninstall. So I went through and manually removed everything from the user profiles as well as the program files folders. I then installed the latest version of jaikoz. It was able to start but all my settings were gone. Copied over my original settings file and it would not work. So removed it and started up a clean install of jaikoz and it worked. I then proceeded to setup some of the more basic important settings. I tagged a few files and it was working. That was a couple of days ago.

Move forward to today, I tried to start up jaikoz again and the same thing. It would not start up! The task manager shows the program running for a few seconds before it closes out, but nothing ever appears on the screen. Kind of at a loss on how to fix this other than to do a clean install with no settings every time. Also getting a little frustrated on having to reset all the settings every time. This last time i only put in about a tenth of the settings and that took a little while. Specially after setting up all the order of the fields and what not. I really wish the settings and layout files were done as .ini files or clear txt to easily recreate them when needs be. I haven’t even bothered yet with the long rename masks or all the char replace rules I had in the original files. I unfortunately have to remember what I did and recreate all those by hand now as even though I have a backup of my original layout and settings files, I can’t do anything with them as they are not in clear text and jaikoz will no longer load them.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thank you.

Cleared out the log files and ran it again. Nothing gets thrown in the user log file. The debug log file only has this one line in it:

19/10/2012 19.40.32:com.jthink.jaikoz.MainWindow:setupLAF:WARNING: Look and Feel from UserSettings Is:

Only other output I can find is if I open up a cmd prompt first then run the batch file. This is what It gives in the command prompt window before shutting down. I also shows the splash screen for just a couple of seconds as well:

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Jthink\\Jaikoz>jaikoz.bat
Oct 19, 2012 7:43:26 PM com.jthink.jaikoz.settings.LAF setLAF
INFO: Now LAF subvals are0:JAVA_1_6:Metal
Oct 19, 2012 7:43:26 PM com.jthink.jaikoz.settings.LAF setLAF
INFO: LAF is:26
debuglogfile is:C:\\Users\\Bryan/Jaikoz/Logs/jaikozdebug%u-%g.log
User Logfile is:C:\\Users\\Bryan/Jaikoz/Logs/jaikozuser%u-%g.log
19/10/2012 19.43.28:com.jthink.jaikoz.MainWindow:setupLAF:WARNING: Look and Feel
 from UserSettings Is:
Fri Oct 19 19:43:29 MDT 2012 Thread[main,5,main] java.io.FileNotFoundException:
derby.log (Access is denied)
----------------------------------------------------------------
Fri Oct 19 19:43:29 MDT 2012:
Booting Derby version The Apache Software Foundation - Apache Derby - 10.8.2.2 -
 (1181258): instance a816c00e-013a-7bd6-dc8e-0000096e32c8
on database directory C:\\Users\\Bryan\\Jaikoz\\jaikozdb  with class loader sun.misc
.Launcher$AppClassLoader@46c9220
Loaded from file:/C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Jthink/Jaikoz/lib/derby.jar
java.vendor=Oracle Corporation
java.runtime.version=1.7.0_07-b11
user.dir=C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Jthink\\Jaikoz
derby.system.home=null
Database Class Loader started - derby.database.classpath=''
Resulttrue
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Compa
rison method violates its general contract!
        at java.util.ComparableTimSort.mergeLo(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ComparableTimSort.mergeAt(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ComparableTimSort.mergeForceCollapse(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ComparableTimSort.sort(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.ComparableTimSort.sort(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Arrays.sort(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.Collections.sort(Unknown Source)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.id3.ID3TagNames.loadColumns(ID3TagNames.java:1
94)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.id3.ID3TagNames.<init>(ID3TagNames.java:164)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.data.id3.ID3TagNames.getInstanceOf(ID3TagNames.java
:171)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.table.tablemodel.id3.TagDisplayId3v2Model.getColumn
Name(TagDisplayId3v2Model.java:39)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.table.ColumnFactory.configureTableColumn(ColumnFa
ctory.java:177)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.table.ColumnFactory.createAndConfigureTableColumn
(ColumnFactory.java:134)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.JXTable.createAndAddColumns(JXTable.java:2642)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.JXTable.createDefaultColumnsFromModel(JXTable.jav
a:2619)
        at javax.swing.JTable.tableChanged(Unknown Source)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.JXTable.tableChanged(JXTable.java:1645)
        at javax.swing.JTable.setModel(Unknown Source)
        at org.jdesktop.swingx.JXTable.setModel(JXTable.java:1595)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.table.JaikozRowHeaderTable.<init>(JaikozRowHeaderTa
ble.java:64)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.table.datasheet.Datasheet.setupDatasheet(Datasheet.
java:324)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.table.datasheet.id3.ID3EditDatasheet.<init>(ID3Edit
Datasheet.java:21)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.table.datasheet.Datasheet.setupDatasheets(Datasheet
.java:92)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.TagDisplayer.setupScreen(TagDisplayer.java:219)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.layout.TopLayout.setupGuiComponent(TopLayout.java:5
3)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.layout.TopLayout.<init>(TopLayout.java:20)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.layout.TopLayout.getInstanceOf(TopLayout.java:32)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.layout.ScreenLayout.setupScreen(ScreenLayout.java:1
59)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.layout.ScreenLayout.getLayout(ScreenLayout.java:230
)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.MainWindow.runOnEventThread(MainWindow.java:469)
        at com.jthink.jaikoz.MainWindow$1.run(MainWindow.java:306)
        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.access$200(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at java.security.ProtectionDomain$1.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Jthink\\Jaikoz>

Hi, sorry to hear that - just try deleting only the database as described in issue 1 of http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/1246.page.

I know this doesn’t help you with your immediate problem, but based on these sort of problems, i use a plaintext setting in SongKong and it is one of the first improvements I’m going to make to Jaikoz.

This is happening now after every time I use jaikoz. Deleting just the database as mentioned above is not fixing the issue. It seems if I change preferences and work on a some songs it works fine for a single run. Soon as I close it out, it will not start back up. Does the same thing as described above. Every time only way I can start it back up is to do a complete uninstall then go through and delete any remainder files and folders that jaikoz left behind.

This is becoming extremely time consuming as it will not take any settings file, even the ones I just barely create from the previous install of the same version. So I am having to do an uninstall then an install then all the settings all over by hand every time I want to start up jaikoz.

Nothing has changed on my system since it was working smoothly a few months back. I also ran full diagnostics on my PC and verified there are no memory, cpu, or hard drive issues.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Paul,

Any idea how to fix this? I can’t even run jaikoz now without nuking everything and starting from scratch and not putting in any settings. Even then I am forced to delete everything and start a new when I want to open it up again.

Hi, I’m looking at this today but it would help if you could tell me if just deleting your modified settings file as described as Issue 4 at http://www.jthink.net/jaikozforum/posts/list/1246.page resolves it .

Of course I realize this means you lose your settings, but it helps me try and work out the problem.

Also I assume it only fails to startup if you made changes to preferences and/or move/hide columns around in the display (which indirectly changes preferences). If you do not change anything, can you shutdown/restart Jaikoz without problems.

From the stack trace given the problem seems to be connected with the columns displayed in the ID3 view, do you know if you changed anything with this ?

My other thought is there is a problem with Java 1.7, could you try running Jaikoz with 1.6 ?

The problem is Java 7, please use Jaikoz with Java 6 until I’ve resolved the issue http://www.jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-491

Thank you for the reply. I am indeed using java 1.7. I will uninstall it and try out java 1.6 this weekend first and let you know how it works.

Okay, if you use Jaikoz.bat and specify the full of the Java executable then you can make Jaikoz use Java 1.6 without having to uninstall Java 1.7, configuring Jaikoz.exe is a bit trickier as it looks for Java.exe in various places and uses the first one it finds.

Uninstalled 1.7 and installed 1.6. and Jaikoz started right up :slight_smile:

I then decided to take it even one step further. I took my last fully set properties and settings files I had backed up from about 6 months ago and overwrote the current files. I started up jaikoz. Jaikoz started right up. Told me the settings were old and it needed to upgrade them. It upgraded them and everything took! I shut down jaikoz and tried starting it back up again, having the old settings files that it had just updated. Again jaikoz started right up!

Looks like you identified the issue.

One thing to note, oracle has the 1.6 downloads fairly buried. They are now offering the 1.7 as the default downloads. If you try to download the 1.6, they give one the following warning first:

Thanks again for providing a work around. I can now finish tagging :slight_smile:

Yes, as soon as I have SongKong out the door I’ll get a new Jaikoz out, funny that only a couple of users seem to be haveing an issue though.

The next version of Jaikoz will come with Java embedded within the installtion.

True. Just recently has java made 1.7 the main link when people go to java.com. I had 1.6 installed on my system for the longest time until I took a java class at school that suggested I install 1.7.

I am guessing that the majority of users probably have systems with 1.6 installed. I don’t for see this being much of a problem until java starts pushing out 1.7 as an update to all the 1.6 users. I am betting they will do that before Feb of next year.

Do you have a sense of when you will be able to provide a fix for this?

I really want to get SongKong out before end of November. Then I’ll start work on a new release of Jaikoz, first release might be a relatively small releases that fixes problems such as this.

Actually there is a workaround you can use to get Java 1.6 behaviour when using Java 1.7, if you use Jaikoz.bat you can add another property

-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

to the batch file to resolve this.

Paul, wanted to see where you stand with this? I’m having the same problem - Jaikoz won’t start. I can see the process in the Task Manager, but not the application in the Applications tab and the GUI never starts. Tried most (all?) of the suggestions I could find throughout the forum pages (uninstall/reinstall, delete jaikozdb, start Jaikoz with the BAT file, adding the Java tag to jaikoz.bat, etc. along with multiple combinations and sequences of these ideas). No luck!

I’m using Jaikoz 4.6.3 on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Incidently, it was working a few days ago. However, I was usually getting the error saying the msvcr100.dll file was missing. Despite getting that error, if I tried to open the program 2-3 times, it would start on one of those subsequent tries and it seemed to function fine. Then, suddenly, it wouldn’t start at all. Any help or progress you have with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Are you using Java 7 then or not ?
There will be a fix release for Jaikoz within two weeks

Yes, it is Java 7, Update 9. Glad to hear the new release/fix is only a short time away! Thank you!

Okay so that is the problem then isn’t it.