SongKong Jaikoz

SongKong and Jaikoz Music Tagger Community Forum

album artist not always being added

Here is a new one I haven’t seen before. I noticed in this latest release that my album artist fields are not always being filled out. These are happening on some releases that are being matched to musicbrainz. It appears that every field but the album artist field is being filled out. Not sure if the ones that are being filled out already had it or not, so I may have to do some more testing.

That came in with the previous release please see

http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-296

occurs for Various Artist albums of Jaikoz configured to update iTunes.

I am not sure if I follow. Was this a bug from the previous release, or was this a feature added? If it is a feature added, how do i turn it off, as it will break almost any program out there that counts on album artist field and is extremely annoying having to look for every album that does not get it filled out correctly and add it manually.

I am sure a very small select group would like it left blank, but the way that jaikoz use to do it, is the way all other taggers and players use it and was the expected way. If it is an option, it should be one that is turned off by default, as most people expect jaikoz and any other tagger to fill out all blank fields, not create more blank fields. I have some itunes compatibility options turned on in jaikoz as they are ones that are good to use for most programs, but I see nothing in regards to album artists and I am not using the iTunes Autoupdate.

If I am reading the bug report correctly, that this behavior was added as a feature to fix a minor nuance with itunes, then I think we will see this feature breaking a whole lot more than it is intended to fix.

Right well it was added because as I understood it this would improve compatibility.

Lets check a few things, are you only finding this happening for Various Artist Albums or not, if so this confirms the problem is due to the bug I mentioned, please confirm.

Now if you have the Preferences:Save:iTunes Update options disabled then the only differences in behaviour you should see are Sort Album Artist field not being filled in. Is this what you are seeing or are you also seeing Album Artist field missing. It would be helpful for me to know if it is not doing what I expect it to do, or just what you don’t expect it to do.

Then we can review the change.

So I took the same group of albums as I tried with it previously. I deleted all fields except for the album, title, artist, track no, and year. I then saved the files, closed them out, cleared the cache, and reopened the files in jaikoz. I then ran an autocorrect on the files.

I did 20 albums. All were found in musicbrainz. 19 were single artist albums, the other 1 was a various artist album. Out of the 19 single artist albums, 11 of them jaikoz did not fill in the Album Artist field and left it blank. These were both on albums where the artist was the only name on every song, as well as on albums where the artist was the single name on most songs, with a few songs having the artist name feat. another artist along with it. As for the 1 various artist album jaikoz also did not add the Various Artist to the album artist either and left it blank.

I didn’t notice the sort album artist last time. This time I checked it and all of the songs have info in the sort artist. As for the sort album artist it appears to have some albums filled out and some not. The albums that have Album Artist filled out have Sort Album Artist filled out and those that have Album Artist left empty likewise have Sort Album Artist left empty.

Sorry for the delay (had an extended Xmas break).

Ive raised http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-827 and should get to it within the next couple of days.

Fixed, so now the only different will be for Various Artist albums:

If you have iTunes integration enabled then Album Artist and Sort Album Artist will be left blank.

If you do not use iTunes the only difference is the Sort Album Artist field is left blank for Various Artist albums.

New release out today or tomorrow.

Interesting, so what determines the itunes integration? I didn’t see it in the preferences. I have everything checked under Save / Compatibility tab as even though some of those refer to itunes, they are just best practice options that work best in most players. Or is it the Save / itunes autoupdate? That one would make more sense as it is directly specific to using itunes as the player. That one is unchecked. Or is there another option somewhere?

Its Save / itunes autoupdate

Fixed in Jaikoz 6.1.0 now available http://jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/news/build1132.jsp

Awesome, thanks! I’ll give it a spin.

This is now blanking Album Artist again it did work for a while

What do you mean it worked for a while, with the same version, is it just for compilation albums ?

Yes it is where the album artist is Various Artists so that might explain why I thought it was working and then not Non Complications are ok

So it does that for best compatibility with iTunes, if you are not using iTunes and turn iTunes Auto Update off then it will fill in the Album Artist.

Thanks Paul should have read the above before posting sorry

I can’t find the iTunes update option. :?:

“Various Artists” are never imported … the “Album Artist” field gets a red frame.

I think you are running on Linux. Linux version does not support iTunes because iTunes does not run on Linux.

Thanks, but this is not my problem. I want to know how I can solve the empty field if “Various Artists” is the “Album Artist”.

Yes, I’m running Ubuntu 14.04

Sorry Christian you have found a bug

http://jthink.net:8081/browse/JAIKOZ-862

I shall be working on a new version of Jaikoz in a weeks time and have made this a critical issue to fix, Im afraid I cant think of a workaround at the moment